• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Crash course in UNIX

VenomXt

Blame me for the RAZR's
im intrested too read through unix for dummys (kinda) but id love something a bit... better. i have a unix machine id like to play with.

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
the best thing u could do is try a distro out, play around with it, and depending on which one u choose go to their forums, always alot of help and tuts on those

VenomXt

Blame me for the RAZR's
but for someone who doesent have a unix box? i was under the impression that unix was kinda like macs and hardware specific

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
not sure what you mean, why do you want to read up on it.

do you want to start using linux, or want to know more about mac, etc etc??

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
You can read all the books you want, but until you setup a machine and break it a few times, you don't really get a feel for it.

There are plenty of different unix boxes and yes some are hardware dependent e.g. SPARC, but Free/Net/OpenBSD are all unices and run on x86-class [as well as many other] processors. Linux is unix-like, but not really unix, you wont learn anything from Ubuntu. Personally I love FreeBSD as far as unix goes.

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
i would disagree with you, i think if your starting off Ubuntu is great, you do learn alot from it, u need too, and then u can move on from there

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
Ubuntu doesn't let you do anything. If you actually want to learn linux, start with something that lets you learn, e.g. Slackware or Gentoo. If you want to learn unix, use FreeBSD. They are all usable without any experience as long as you are willing to use google and have some patience.

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
i have never used any of those other distros, so I wouldn't really know, but I find that ubuntu makes some things easier to use, so that way you can figure it out and learn from it.... but yea

any distro you will learn from, there are forums to help you out on each one

Brad

Political User
I need to learn UNIX (or at least have a higher level understanding of it) for a training session in StillSecure at headquarters at the end of next month. Can I learn it in 2 weeks or am I screwed?

ThePatriot

-=[BOHICA!]=-
Political User
Yeah, what X-Istence said!

We run SCO Unix on all kinds of x86 machines, from paperweights like Pentium 75's running VERY old versions of Xenix (google that one!) to modern P4 3Ghz+ machines running Unixware (a Linux-like environment, but still a Unix System V derivative at heart).

Two weeks is short, but you can at least get a working knowledge in that timeframe. Good luck!

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
No, FreeBSD is unix, well atleast a derivitive of it. Bell labs owns the unix copyright

FreeBSD® is an advanced operating system for x86 compatible (including Pentium® and Athlon™), amd64 compatible (including Opteron™, Athlon 64, and EM64T), UltraSPARC®, IA-64, PC-98 and ARM architectures. It is derived from BSD, the version of UNIX® developed at the University of California, Berkeley. It is developed and maintained by a large team of individuals. Additional platforms are in various stages of development.

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/bsdi/930303.ruling.txt

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix