Crappy startup...i think

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
my system takes about 25.2 secs to load into full usable state...ive heard ppl say much lower times with slower systems. anyway to lower this? i used bootvis but it wont go lower than that....i defragged and chkdsked....removed all unnecessary stuff from startup....

thx,
Apu

PD: just in case, whats the proper way to
use bootvis?

Don't go by the dates, this is getting a bit old now.

Windows XP Boot Tweak Guide
Getting Started:
Before we do anything grab a watch or stopwatch and time your current bootup time. Write it down somewhere.
Step one :
Download Bootvis.exe (25 March 2002) from Microsoft. Bootvis is a Boot performance trace visualization tool for use with Windows XP systems. It gives a graphical view of what processes are doing what and when during boot and allow you to optimise your boot up. A very handy tool.
Unzip it and you have Bootvis.exe click on it. You will now see the GUI of bootvis.
Now go to File > New and choose "Next boot trace" or "Next boot and drivers chase". Leave everything else as is and get ready for a reboot in 15 seconds.
Ok we are back after a reboot. Click on the Bootvis.exe, it will now output the results, once it has finished generating the report, you will see graphs 5 or 6 graphs. They look a bit confusing at this stage.
You may see "warning disk write caching is disabled" i am pretty sure Bootvis Automatically enables this for you... but you can manually enable this by going to Device manager >> Right click on your hard drive >> Properties >> Policies Tab >> Check " Enable Disk write caching"
Now this is where the fun begins ! From the main menu .. Click on Trace >> optimize system.
And yes you guessed it another reboot .... :)
Once you have re-booted and are back at your desktop, dont touch anything, just wait.
You will see a message box "Please wait for bootvis to load" ... about 20 seconds later another meassge box will appear "Optimising system for boot performance" basicallay bootvis is happily rearranging the boot files for a faster startup
One final thing to do, is to see if this has made a difference, get the watch out again and reboot. Compare the original time to the new time and you will be pleasantly suprised, i managed to shave 35 seconds off mine. I have heard people reduce their boot time to 20 seconds.

I think you are already at the minimum boot time. Getting pretty close to it anyway.

Well, my computer is unusable for about 6 minutes after windows has logged in, some programs start, and then the waiting ( network connections folder freezes )
after 6 minutes or so, the computer starts thinking again, running messenger, de-freezing folders, shows sound, and all the rest
bootvis stops monitoring before this happens, so i don't know what to do, just wait :huh:

Why don't you try turning as much off as possible at startup. Once xp has loaded start the processes one at a time & see which one is causing the slowdown/freeze.

heh the only thing it starts is messenger and NAV
i guess NAV is guilty for this...any good 1-click-and-i-have-an-updated AV for my pleasure?

will try deinstalling NAV now
to check if that is

nope, NAV is no good

ive checked task manager, and all proceses are ran by no one ( task: svhost user:(blank) cpu:0% )
so i guess it has to do something with net login, but im in a network, sharing internet to my house, so i cant disable workstation and all LAN related services ( although without norton boot changed from 6 to 2 minutes :) )

That norton must be a real hog taking all that time. Two minutes is a lot better than six. :)

well i actually do that, but sometimes, reboot is inminent ( installing a HDD, etc ), and its a real pain having to wait those minutes
if my calculations aren't wrong, without those 2 minutes, reboot should take about 27 seconds

But if you are on a network then there is nothing more you can do.

Turn it on then get a coffee going. :)

Originally posted by MeFo
Well, my computer is unusable for about 6 minutes after windows has logged in, some programs start, and then the waiting ( network connections folder freezes )

Here's somethin from an XP tweak guide that I have. Don't know if it would help, but it's a fairly nice tweak none-the-less.

WINDOWS XP EXPLAINED
by: Abhisek Datta [abhisek@programmer.net]

Tweak #10 - Speeding Up Share Viewing
This is a great tweak. Before I found it, I was always smashing my head against the table waiting to view shares on other computers. Basically, when you connect to another computer with Windows XP, it checks for any Scheduled tasks on that computer - a fairly useless task, but one that can add up to 30 seconds of waiting on the other end - not good! Fortunately, it's fairly easy to disable this process. First, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace in the Registry. Below that, there should be a key called {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}. Just delete this, and after a restart, Windows will no longer check for scheduled tasks - mucho performance improvement!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back