Crackling from Power Supply

H

hawk

Yeah, the subject should say it all, but I will elaborate. It seems that after I leave my computer on for successive nights, I will be awakened by a crackling noise coming from where my power cord is plugged into the back of my computer. When it first happened, reseating the power cord more snuggly in the back made it stop, but since then, the cord just doesn't sit snuggly enough for long enough it seems. I like to leave my computer on overnight so I can download things so it is a bit annoying to be disturbed in the middle of the night because of this crackling and it is VERY annoying.

I am pretty sure there is some correlation with my computer "feeling" hot (where the power supply is) and the crackling. But it bothers me that it should get heated during the night when there is minimal activity. Maybe the downloading is bogging it down, yeah, that's probably it. Just can't win! Or can I? Anyone have any suggestions or ever experience this before? Keep in mind that I am a poor college boy who cannot afford expensive heat sinks and fans and such or new elaborate cases. I am running an AthlonXP 1700+ with ECS mobo and whatever generic fan the dude who sold my case gave me. I am guessing I need a better one, but yo no tengo dinero. Thanks in advance for the help.

So basically the crackling noise is coming from your PSU, correct?

The crackling annoying. Wait till the fire alarm goes off & you have to hit the street with ya bed clothes. Better get it fixed. Sooner the better. Sounds like a fire waiying to happen. :eek:

I would think that it's something really wrong with the power supply. PSU fans don't make cracking noises... I say it's time to get another power supply, before it fries your system, and maybe more.

Thanks for the replies. The crackling has gone on for months now (not all the time just every few nights for a bit then I shut down the computer and rarely happens if i shut down every night). Any recommendations on how much voltage I should get and do I need to get a new case and will this be managable to install or should I get a professional? I have reasonable knowledge installing cards and such in there but never a power supply. How much do you think this should run me?

Thanks again.

When it first happened, reseating the power cord more snuggly in the back made it stop, but since then, the cord just doesn't sit snuggly enough for long enough it seems.
Have you tried a new power cord? Anyway if that don't work you definetly want to get a new PSU. I would think that you would want at least a 300, and make sure that the PSU you get is AMD approved.

I tend to agree with everybody's reply that u should get a new cord at least but to my way of thinking I would get a new power supply to be safe. I would also recommend at least a 300 watt and I would also make sure that it's approved to work with ur processor.

I would most probably say it is not your power supply but more likely your power cord. What tends to happen is you get a break down at the connection point from the three pin female plug and the actual cable conductors, usually because there is a constant bend in the cable and with movement over time this connection starts to deteriorate, causeing that crackling or arcing sound.
I would start be purchasing another power cable (IEC lead).:)

Thanks again for the replies. I will head out to my campus store and get a new cord. I just figured it was the power supply because I have tried two different cables over the year and I think they both had this problem. But since cables are so cheap, I will get a new one anyway. What probably doesn't help is the fact that my power strip is in front of my computer so the cord is being pulled on more forcibly than is probably wanted by the cord. This is a dorm room so the setup is anything from ideal and there are only 4 outlets in the whole room. I have strips hangin off of strips, its nuts. Anyway, I don't think this is CAUSING the problem because I had the problem when I was at home and there was much less tension. I will try a new cord and see what happens. 300 or 350 watts? I think I have 350 watts in there right now, but I can't be sure and is it easy to install?

Thanks again.

Well if u have a 350 watt I wouldn't got anything smaller then it. I will also say if you are unsure bout doing this then have somebody who knows what they are doing to it for you. As to changing out a power supply its fairly easy but that also depends on the case. So without knowing anything bout ur case I can't say how much work it will be for you but I can talk u through the steps. The first and I think the most important is shutdown the system and unplug the power cord and also make sure you don't have any static electricity as that can do harm to your system. Second is take the side or sides of the case and the top if needed. Third is unplug all of the power cords from your drives and motherboard. Fourth is look around at the case and see how the power supply is mounted/attached. Once you have figured that out remove any screws or other fasteners that might be holding the power supply then after that work it out of the case slowly so you don't damage anything. Once thats done just do the reverse to mount the new one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back