Cracked in Four Places

frogg_mann

OSNN Addict
No I didn't crack a program illegally. In case thats what you think.
I was doing a spc / scannow checking and replacing protected files and such. And it wasn't reading the disk.I then smacked the button to eject it. And upon inspection, my xp pro disc had four cracks in it. No i didnt smack the disc. My question is what the heck do I do write to M$ and ask for for a replacement? I tried to burn a copy and of course it wouldnt read it. frogg_mann

There is no copy protection on the XP Pro disc. Find somebody who has a copy and make a backup of theirs. It isn't the physical media you have liscenced but rather the code on it. The CD Key is the protected part. Any XP Pro CD will work with your legitimate key.

And make a back up this time....

thank you leejend

Yes sir back up, right away sir,, Dang thing was brand new. Should not have cracked. But your right I will as soon as i get my slimmy webbed feet on one.Now finding someone with the cd....I don't think I know anyone seems most are still running 98 some with xp home that is for the physical cd. I know all kinds of people online. hmmmmm ok well thanks I will try to find someone. Wheres that rep button? :D I'll have to give it push. frogg_mann

It didn't work!

LeeJend said:
There is no copy protection on the XP Pro disc. Find somebody who has a copy and make a backup of theirs. It isn't the physical media you have liscenced but rather the code on it. The CD Key is the protected part. Any XP Pro CD will work with your legitimate key.

And make a back up this time....

Got the copy did a clean install and Nada, wouldn't take the key. :dead: boogie. What da hey? I purchased it at the local Staples. I know it was a legal beagel ???? :crosseyed: I know it's been since Sept but what can i say? Finding it took a while.
frogg

frogg_man, http://microsoft.com/ look for support there, probably some support@microsoft.com

Send them an email explaining what happened, and ask them if they will send you a new CD. They did when i had a cracked CD for MS home. Or go back to the store where you purchased the CD in the first place, and get a new one from them.

Thanks X-is , I tried to take it back to the place i bought it. They wouldn't exchange it because they had just restocked to sp2. And no longer had the sp1 in stock. The Dawgs should have told me when i bought it. I would have waited a couple of weeks which is when they did the restocking. Of course they didn't know it would crack either.... Anyway it looks like i'll just go to support and do it that way. gracias, frogg

You mean it wouldn't take the code on install?, or is it not recognising the key when you've entered windows and tried to authenticate it online?

Becuase if it's the latter, it can take quite sometime for the MS databases to sort themselves out if you've previously used the code. Within the 30 days key check it sometimes takes pretty close to the 20th day for MS to realise my windows key is valid :rolleyes:

Yeah, in my opinion the CDs are free, the licence is what you pay for :)

CD's are free. It is the license you pay for. It costs MS what 25p to press a silver cd? Okay greanted whr you multiply that by the insane number they stamp it adds up but thats why they rip us all off in the first place right :D

In any cae my bro hd been listening to one of my audio cd's one night when that went off like a bomb! Upon opening the cd tray and seeing nothing he proceeded to take the drive apart at which point loads of tiny little cd fragments fell out :D I thought it was cool but he didnt :p

Thanks ahead of time. Yeah, Moonwraith when i was installing it. I didn't get as far as activation. Even though it was activated originally and registered. Do you think it might be that? I don't see how though. It would'nt reject it until i went to activation and tried activating it. I'll try that link bush dogg, when i get through here. I've already sent them an email and they did get back to me but i was at the wrong dept. I should have gone to there winxp tech area (software). I was at the Internet support area (connectivity).. Like i wrote the lady back and asked why they couldnt patch me though instead of going through the whole process again. Company Policy she stated ...bahhhhh i guess so. Hell, I just grabbed the handiest link. They gave me one to go to and its probably the same one that bush dogg is posting for me. We shall see in the next episode of "Cracked in Four Places". Sounds like a dang soap. I just want a damn disk that works. I'll let ya know what does happen. late frogg 8)~~~~~~~~"zap" mmmmmissed.

Hmmmmmm, it'd only moan about the code being registered more than once when actually installed. If it's not accepting at during the installation - either the code's not being type correctly (probably not), or are the codes specific to say a sp1 Pro disc? (in this case)

[Clarification I don't know how the codes work, I don't think they're linked to the CD themselves, but would they be linked to a certain build of windows? E.g. Frogg_mann's code will only work with a SP1 XP pro disc? [/Clarification]

frogg_man,
Choose the “activate by phone” option. If or when the automated activation fails, your call will be assigned to a live operator. They can always get things worked out. I'm not sure why this problem occurs. MS says you can activate as many times as you like, even on different machines. It’s something of a gentleman’s agreement, they basically take your word that it’s only installed on any one of the machines at a time.
ponder.gif
Occasionally however things get screwed wherever the activation is done, and it won't let you activate anymore.
dead.gif
MS is very liberal with the activation process. I’ve even used one I found online while I was out of town and didn’t have my cd-key available to reinstall my laptop.
shocked.gif
It activated with out problem, and I just used the cd-key changing tool afterwards to put the real one in once I got home. Its truely an pressure free thing. If the activation number has changed from your previous activation they might ask you if you've changed any hardware since your last activation or if your moving your copy to another computer, but your not obligated to respond and they won't pressure you to, or make you feel bad or guilty for not telling them.

frogg_mann said:
Thanks ahead of time. Yeah, Moonwraith when i was installing it. I didn't get as far as activation. Even though it was activated originally and registered. Do you think it might be that? I don't see how though. It would'nt reject it until i went to activation and tried activating it. I'll try that link bush dogg, when i get through here. I've already sent them an email and they did get back to me but i was at the wrong dept. I should have gone to there winxp tech area (software). I was at the Internet support area (connectivity).. Like i wrote the lady back and asked why they couldnt patch me though instead of going through the whole process again. Company Policy she stated ...bahhhhh i guess so. Hell, I just grabbed the handiest link. They gave me one to go to and its probably the same one that bush dogg is posting for me. We shall see in the next episode of "Cracked in Four Places". Sounds like a dang soap. I just want a damn disk that works. I'll let ya know what does happen. late frogg 8)~~~~~~~~"zap" mmmmmissed.

cracked cd?

i had one explode in my cdrom once..
be careful.

Yeah Jimi that happened to me also, it was a Win98se disc. The pieces that were left were no bigger than a dime. I just bought a new one in that mishap. You know what was strange is i found pieces in the bottom ot the tower. The rom has no openings or anyway that i could see to get out of the drive. Strange things happen to frogs. 8)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back