CPU vs GPU Temps

champ2005

| xs |
Why is it that a CPU begins to 'burn' at about 80 degrees C, whereas my FX5600 has a GPU 'threshold' set to 134 degrees C? They are both made of the same stuff right?

A valid point :)
Could well depend on the sensor itself I guess.

My CPU runs at half the temperature that my GPU runs at (according to statistics)

I'll wait for a boffin here, but my hunch is that the actual low level architecture of the chip is different, such that a GPU is more "rugged" and can stand more heat. After all there are similar variations from Intel to AMD CPUs, albeit less marked, where an AMD will be able to run hotter before it starts to fry, I believe (or is it just that they are cranked up and run hotter anyway?)

Anyway, I await an educated opinion to (maybe) bear me out.

champ2005 said:
Why is it that a CPU begins to 'burn' at about 80 degrees C, whereas my FX5600 has a GPU 'threshold' set to 134 degrees C? They are both made of the same stuff right?

BFG 6800 Ultra OC is factory set to 120C :confused:

And to think I worry about my athlon reaching 50c. I'd love to know what my 9800 gpu is running at.

Perhaps some things are best left a mystery! :)

Doom said:
And to think I worry about my athlon reaching 50c. I'd love to know what my 9800 gpu is running at.

Aberdeen ?

Me too!

modern day gpu's have as many as or more trannies than a cpu :D

it would seem they are designed to handle a higher heat threshold than cpu's and have been doing so for a while...

/me shrugs...

am sure there are a coupla engs on these boards who can shed more light..

Running any piece of high density silicon above 90 Deg C is an invitation for an early death. Failure rate is an exponential function of temperature and 90 C is the knee of the curve.

If the junction temperatures truly are running at 120C don't expect the GPU to last too long past the warantee expiration date. But then early failures of Nvidia GPU's is the reason I switched back to ATI products.

On the other hand I really doubt they are running the die that hot. Water boils at 100C. The solder used in electronics starts getting soft at 145C. Nobody in the business could be that stupid... Or could they?

A few reasons I think:

1: The GPU is running less crucial information then a CPU. CPU obviously has more information running at once then a GPU, such as whatever the GPU is needing, as well as OS and other things in the background all at once.

2: Maybe the architecture of the Chip on the GPU is not as well designed as on a processor so it reaches higher temps. Thus making them utilize a different process to build the chips so that they can last longer.

I had another reason, but I can't remember.

Well my first question would be what are you using to determin the GPU temp?

champ2005 said:
The nVidia drivers - in the temperature monitor section.
Which drivers do you have, as I am running 61.77 and there isn't a temp monitor section.:confused:

u probably don't have a temperature monitor on your card - only the newer/more expensive FXs etc have them

i wouldn't necessarily trust that. it's best to have a separate die that you yourself put on the GPU and monitor the temperature with that instead. a lot of onboard monitoring temps can be very inaccurate.

champ2005 said:
u probably don't have a temperature monitor on your card - only the newer/more expensive FXs etc have them
ahhh that could be! Mine is only a GeForce4 Ti 4200. Had me worried for a bit there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back