CPU Usage

N

Narcissus

why, even when no programs are running is my cpu usage always more than 60%?

have you opened up task manager to see which process is using the CPU cycles?

"Processes" tab

its the System Idle Process, how do i stop it ? thanx

on the performance tab the cpu usage is always around 66& and sometimes 100%, my computer is running so slow that the mouse pointer doesnt even move smoothly it jumps accross the screen, if i open a folder it might take 20 seconds for it to actually open, i dont know whats wrong with it

open up the task manager to the processes tab, and take a screenshot (Print Screen, paste into paint) and upload it here.

Even if you CPU Idle Process is at 66% when your doing nothing, i'd be a little worried what the other 33% is up too. My idle process is currently @ 97% and i've got ASE, Winamp and this webpage open. But I guess that depends on system specs.

Originally posted by Narcissus
on the performance tab the cpu usage is always around 66& and sometimes 100%, my computer is running so slow that the mouse pointer doesnt even move smoothly it jumps accross the screen, if i open a folder it might take 20 seconds for it to actually open, i dont know whats wrong with it

something is definitely eating up your cpu cycles
dont think this has anything to do with hardware
let me guess you've got an athlonxp chip (p4's dont do that under stress)

first thing to do stop running programs in task manager
end each running program one at a time
until your machine runs normally
thats the quickest way to find the culprit

another way is disable all startup programs in msconfig
enable them one at a time until the problem returns

let us know how you get on

do you use any programs which use the C-Dilla licensing system (NAV 2002 does I think)
Check if you have C-Dilla on your Add/Remove programs list, if you have it then go to C-Dilla.com

ok I cant seem to find the latest version to download but I have it here

athlon xp 1700+ geforce 4, 60gb hard disk, 512mb ram,
on the task manager the system idle process actually says around 94%, but when i got to the performance tab my cpu usage is between 66% and 100%, i have stopped most programs running, stopped most of the services, closed norton anti virus, zone alarm etc but it makes no difference, it only started doing it about a week ago, and ive not installed any new programs.

How do you take a screen shot? I know i thick lol but please dont say it !

Originally posted by Narcissus
athlon xp 1700+ geforce 4, 60gb hard disk, 512mb ram,
on the task manager the system idle process actually says around 94%, but when i got to the performance tab my cpu usage is between 66% and 100%, i have stopped most programs running, stopped most of the services, closed norton anti virus, zone alarm etc but it makes no difference, it only started doing it about a week ago, and ive not installed any new programs.
I had that problem with my old USB modem whenever I was online. Really annoying. And slow.

thanx for all ur help, i tried everything and ended up reformatting my drive everything is ok now ;)

PS i couldnt get that print screen thing to work

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back