CPU Usage

S

SMAnsari

I had a question about a problem I have from time to time with XP.

I run into a problem where the CPU usage goes through the roof (100%) when all that I am running at the time is a single software program.

I have checked into the system usage during these peaks in CPU usage and it tells me that it is being flooded by two distinct processes (Ctfmon.exe and Explorer.exe)...I can't seem to correct the problem and it simply brings my system to a screeching hault.

I have Norton SystemWorks 2002 for XP and I have run every diagnostic from defragmenting to WinDoctor and I cannot get a resolution to the problem...Can you help?

does it occur with a single program all the time? I mean the SAME program all the time?

and what programs have you had this happen?

I get 100% usage a few times when I leave kazaalite running for a long time and play videos in it AND have my winTV card running at the same time... something does not quite gel between the 2... just stopped running the 2 together hence no more problems...

but what is it that you are running... please inform... thanks.. :)

Well, it's not one single program that I run that causes the problem...I usually spend most of my time downloading and then burning files later...So, I end up needing to defragment here and there periodically...It's after these periods where defragmenting is necessary that my CPU usage goes into a funk...But in terms of what particular program causes the surge, it's any program...I can pull up my 'My Music' folder and it just shoots up to 100% and the whole system slows down...I really don't know how to tweak it...When I use 'CTL-ALT-DELETE', I can check out what processes are responsible for the surge and it is always either 'CTFMON.EXE' or 'EXPLORER.EXE'...And that's regardless of what program I have running...And it's only when a single program is being run that this happens, it doesn't require multiple programs to be opened.

Software programs

I don't use Kazaa as I did remove it from my system some time ago...Primarily I use WinMX and DirectConnect...I have a fairly hefty hard drive and so periodic defragmenting is necessary which I do...At this point, though, I cannot resolve the CPU usage problem...I try to burn things with the 16X burner I have but it takes 6 hours to burn something due to the CPU Usage...It's become impossible to work with the system...Uggh

i get that alot too it sucks just did a fresh install bout a week ago after installing my new mobo and cpu

Somewhere in the back of my mind something tells me that there is an option to scan for virus whenever you open a program/folder or whatever - but I can not seem to find it in Norton System Works' options anywhere!

I will do some more searching???

On second thought - click here

Anthing sound familiar?? I am just shooting in the dark!

Here's another tidbit I found

:CTFMon comes with Microsoft Office XP. As long as the Text Services & Speech are enabled in the Control Panel, this program will force itself back into your list of background programs.

Recommendation :
Disable "Text Services & Speech" in the Control Panel if you are not using them. Then, disable CTFMon using Startup Manager

Originally posted by damnyank
I will do some more searching???

On second thought - click here

Anthing sound familiar?? I am just shooting in the dark!

damnyank - you beat me to it, I'v had this problem on a couple of my friends machines. Like the link you posted points you towards, it is indeed some of the funky new stuff in Office XP.

I simply turned off all the speach recognition stuff and the writing on tablets stuff ... 'does ANY one use this stuff?'... and the problems went away.

crucial - recheck my post - I edited in more info that I got from here

Startup Manager

How do you disable CTFMON.EXE with Startup Manager?...Forgive me but I can't seem to find Startup Manager...Will that solve the problem?...Because it happens with the process 'EXPLORER.EXE' as well...It's not just CTFMON.EXE that is utilizing so much of the CPU from time to time

From all I can find it appears startup manager is an add on program.

Sorry I wasn't more help on this startup manager thing!

crucial can you provide more insight into how you got yours cleared up???

Startup Manager

I do have Startup Cop and I did disable CFTMON.EXE on that list but it still is a problem

And - you disabled "Text Services & Speech" in the Control Panel ??

If so I am out of suggestions!

CPU Usage - Additional Info

One other aspect to the CPU usage problem is that even when I close out the program that is slowing down and nothing is running, I still see that the CPU Usage remains at 100% with either the CTFMON.EXE or EXPLORER.EXE files...Even if I restart the computer, it first brings up a box where it tries to 'End the Program' of CTFMON.EXE and EXPLORER.EXE...It's driving me nuts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back