CPU usage at 100% ?

D

dscanbs

I have noticed a slight slowdown in my computer and when i press Ctrl+Alt+Delete it shows that my CPU usage is at 100%. What is the deal with that. It is always at 100% and doesn't go down? Any tips or things to look at would be appreciated. Thanks.

using Xp or 2000 im guessing. Go into taskmanager and processes tab look at CPU column what is the name of the program using 100% (or a lot of the CPU) under image name column

I had a problem a while ago where my processor usage was 100% constantly, and nothing showed up in the Task Manager. It turned out to be soundcard drivers, which I just replaced.

Originally posted by dscanbs
I have noticed a slight slowdown in my computer and when i press Ctrl+Alt+Delete it shows that my CPU usage is at 100%. What is the deal with that. It is always at 100% and doesn't go down? Any tips or things to look at would be appreciated. Thanks.
I just had the EXACT same thing happen to me... then i ran Spybot, and after a ton of stuff came up, I hit clean and poof... cpu usage back to normal.

also if you have anything that uses C-Dilla you need to patch it up to v 3.57 or something like that, as it can cause a constant 100% CPU usage

I could be completely off but your not running something like Seti or UD are you?

Ummm, CPU usage is always at 100%. 99% of that is usually system idle process which is the CPU "doing nothing".

Look under the Process tab for details of what is running adn how much CPU time it uses.

I have narrowed the problem down to the process called control.exe When I end the process my computer performance is greatly increased. Any ideas what control.exe is and how to not have it start up? Thanks for the previous suggestions.

just googled it and its could be a couple of things

Control Panel or something to do with Linux...

HTH
Alan

Problem solved. I found a file control.exe that was created about 2 weeks ago. I deleted it and now it doesn't come up in the processes tab of the task manager. Thanks for all the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back