CPU Upgrade

manokent63

OSNN Junior Addict
I have already been told that my CPU is way too slow...I know...get with the times!

New to this tweaking and upgrade fun. What I need to know is will I be able to upgrade my current CPU. System specs below

HP Pavilion 8690 (UK)
AMD Athlon 650MHz
AMD 751 Irongate chipset
ASUS K7M 1.04 Socket A mobo
256mb sdram
15gb ultra DMA HD
TNT2PRO 32mb AGP X2
DVD 8X
HP CD Writer Plus

:)

Are you know with fsb (front side bus speed) and multipliers?

The problem is you got a ready made computer there in that HP Pavilion 8690. experienced puter users would not touch that puter for the following reasons.

1. 90% of the time no upgrades are available, means you can't change the hardware.

2. it comes bloated with the companies crap.

what I would do if I was u, get a new motherboard, and cpu, and a new vid card too.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, find a local computer store and have them do it, you will like the new computer much much better.

just my opinion

:cool:

Hey iceman...remember..i got my standard packard bell from 450 to 550...so it is possible..i don't say it would really help much...but it sounds quit cool no?:rolleyes: :D

yes, but you changed everything if I remeber right G- Lizard86. You changed the motherboard, CPU, etc, right?

I'm not addressing the overclock issue here, Iceman38 does not overclock, if Iceman38 wants a CPU to perform at the 2100+ level he buys the 2100+. I'm not knocking overclocking, I just don't think it's worth the risk is all.

:cool: :cool:

no that was with my old motherboard (PB Miami) and my old cpu (AMD K6-2 450 mhz)...i got it up at 550 by changing the jumpers on the mobo. This one is now running @ 1370....not that high...but i can get up much more..:p lol but i won't...don't wanna destroy it now i've come so far...(that's is poetic if u know what i mean):confused:

Not to happy with overclocking!!!

Iceman..totally agree with your comments but without getting a new mobo will I be able to upgrade the processor?

Try to find out what your mobo supports, and pic one out:D

Looks like the Motherboard will only accept

Slot A Athlon 500-750+

not a real big jump from 650 to 750.

:cool:

no but it is something...tried fsb programs...and maybe swithing jumpers..if you have a good cooler (or else buy one), then there is nothing to worry about...remember..o/c is an art...:p:rolleyes: :cool: :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back