CPU Temps

Originally posted by tibboh
Lot of debate about temps, thought the following would be of interest:

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm

The comment on P4's is VERY interesting - what do YOU think? :huh:
You mean the low limit on the Northwoods? That's probably a "just to be safe" limit. Not that you should ever keep a CPU over 60C anyway... :)

Hello
Sorry but I had already posted this link myself in answer to a question about CPU temperatures In Jan , although didnt get much in the way of comments then.

Temps

Sorry to steal your thunder Roger, did not see your original thread. What I was not aware of was the following:

"With P4 CPUs, the CPU will turn its speed down automatically when it overheats. No damage to the CPU is possible, but the system will get slower while it's hot (which, in some cases, users might not even notice)."

Originally posted by tibboh
"With P4 CPUs, the CPU will turn its speed down automatically when it overheats. No damage to the CPU is possible, but the system will get slower while it's hot (which, in some cases, users might not even notice)."
Why did you think people bought p4's, cos its got more mhz than AMD?

Hold on, don't answer that :p

/Does the usual and points you to that funny ass THG video.

EDIT: Quoted what i was replying to...

Temps

I had a coolmaster case fan on, but is quite noisy, so have ordered 2 Enermax silent fans - will soon see HOW silent

Electric Punk how do you get your temp so low, my XP2200+ has a temp around 55-58

Its on pretty much 24/7, how do i get this lower?

my CPU (it's an AMD Altion XP 2600+) is normally around 95 decress F. (or 35 decress C.), and my whole system is around 105 decress F. (or 41 decress C.)... I think that's pretty good for me ^_^

and I keep my on 24/7

Electronic Punk

How do you do that?

Assuming a newer CPU (AMD or Intel) with a power dissipation of 55-75 watts and the best air cooled heat sinks and thermal paste running thermal resistances of 0.35-0.4 deg C per watt.

That yields a temp. rise of 19-30 degrees C over the cooling air inside the case. Assuming a great HSF and a slower CPU that puts your case temp at 16 deg C (thats ~61 deg F for us yankees).

So if you have no case and the MB sits on your desk top you are in a 61 deg F room (hope you have your long johns on). If you have a 10 deg C (18 deg F) rise in air temp from room to case. You are in a 43 deg F room. So splitting the difference puts you in a 50 deg F room. Brrrr.

So what's the trick? Peltier cooler? Or is your CPU thermistor not touching the CPU case or is the bios temperature translation table hosed?

my rig = 31c case... 36cpu STOCK...

high end gaming and benchmarking rigourously kicks me up to around 39-41c... depends on ambient temps in my room... :)

btw.. amd athlon cpu's DO have internal diodes to measure temps AFAIK per many spec sheets... therefore perhaps that article is not entirely accurate...

Originally posted by Sazar
btw.. amd athlon cpu's DO have internal diodes to measure temps AFAIK per many spec sheets... therefore perhaps that article is not entirely accurate...

Yeah, they do have internal diodes but some motherboards will report temps too low or high due to design faults. Eg, a lot of the newer abit boards report temps up to 10C higher than they actually are. I guess the only way to really know your cpu temp is to buy a probe.

BTW: 32C Idle, 36 Load. Room temp around 23. Thats with my tualatin 1.1@1.54ghz and 1.675 volts. Don't know what temps it would do at stock speed/voltage because it has never run that way :p

Originally posted by jumpy
Yeah, they do have internal diodes but some motherboards will report temps too low or high due to design faults. Eg, a lot of the newer abit boards report temps up to 10C higher than they actually are. I guess the only way to really know your cpu temp is to buy a probe.

not amd's fault though :)

but my point was related to the article upon which this thread is based...

also the northwood's (higher end) are supposed to have tolerance thru around 80-85c which is plenty high enough...

No, not amd's fault at all, the same thing happens with intel. Ok, i thought you were replying to Leejends final comments. No worries. :)

Now then

replaced "noisy" Cooler Master case fans with Enermax silent beasties - nice & quiet, but no recording of rpm, and my BIOS seemed to be freezing up. Is this because the fans are manually adjustable (1000 to 3000 rpm) and not compatible with Mobo? (Mobo is Abit BE7)

I disconnected feed from mobo and fed both via suppied adaptors from spare drive feed and freezing up has rectified itself (and i sssssoooooo wanted to look at the rpm).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back