CPU Temperature?

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
I generally underclock my 1.33 GHz AMD Thunderbird CPU to 1.0 GHZ, because I used to set off my temperature monitor at 63 C when I ran it. At 1.0 GHz, in contrast, it runs at about 53 C. First off, what is considered a safe temperature for this CPU? Should I really have been worrying about my 1.33 GHz running at 63 C?

I seem to be getting a lot of conflicting information, so any help would be appreciated.

Melon

The official "safe" temperature for my Pentium III (with a 'Katmai' core) is supposed to be 80 C as per Intel's documents.

I don't think 63 C is a bad temp. What kind of HSF do you have installed on the CPU?
With my retail Intel HSF, I get 35-40 C when completely idle ... so I'm not sure.

Originally posted by NetRyder
The official "safe" temperature for my Pentium III (with a 'Katmai' core) is supposed to be 80 C as per Intel's documents.

I don't think 63 C is a bad temp. What kind of HSF do you have installed on the CPU?
With my retail Intel HSF, I get 35-40 C when completely idle ... so I'm not sure.

lol he has an AMD cpu m8 :)

anyhooo amd is designed to run paper their own texts and what not to 90c... but even so I think you need to get a better heatsink + fan combination...

your idle temp should probably be good around 45c and on load over 50 is fine... 53 and 63 is high but it should run ok

I seriously recommend getting a good cooling fan though...

volcano 7 is around 20-30 us dollars and @ idle my cpu is @ 36-38 c and on load it is around 40-43 c...

Damn and I thought when hit 100 degrees Fahrenheit on a hot day when im gaming that it was hot. I'm running at 79 - 81F (27 C) right now and its been on for a day. If its nice and cold inside the house ive gotten as low as 75 degrees F (I don't know what that is in Celsius sense i always look at F). Usually run at 91 - 95 when playing games (like UT or UT2003)

intel runs cooler... thats why the temps are normally lower than for amd cpu's

reason is the number of instructions handled per clock cycle... amd does 9 to 6 for intel per clock cycle... and due to the extra work it puts in it run hotter...

also architecture is different.. besides AMD is designed to run at high temps... and stand it :)

still I don't think its good for a rig to have a cpu running @ over 60C...

even when I oc to 144 fsb my over temps do not go up much... my idle goes up maybe 2 C to around 38 and my load temp has reached a max of 44... so I can live with that...

but I do have a big case and proper ventilation in room as well as 4 fans other than psu fan and hsf in my case... so that might help a little bit..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back