cpu temp

sparky

OSNN Addict
ok guys,
just built my first pc,worked first time (nearly)had to jiggle the graphics card around
question is
what should the temp of my cpu be
got

xp 2100

256ddr
80 gigs
dvd writer
cd writer
running about 48 degrees C

seems a little hot- but very stable not crashed once
got it from local trusted small shop (cpu and heat sink-akasa coolermaster got a system fan as well,
system says 34 degrees
cpu says 48 degrees its a bit hotter than my old system 1.2 athalon
is this ok temp:confused:

Posted by sparky
ok guys,
just built my first pc,worked first time (nearly)had to jiggle the graphics card around
question is
what should the temp of my cpu be
got

xp 2100

256ddr
80 gigs
dvd writer
cd writer
running about 48 degrees C

seems a little hot- but very stable not crashed once
got it from local trusted small shop (cpu and heat sink-akasa coolermaster got a system fan as well,
system says 34 degrees
cpu says 48 degrees its a bit hotter than my old system 1.2 athalon
is this ok temp:confused:

a better heatsink might drop the temp down a touch.. it all depends on the case/setup/clutter round the cpu... and other factors...

the athlon xp lineup is designed to function at and beyond 90c.... and you are at around half of that...

personally I don't like my rig to go over 40-42 degrees range.. but I have the setup in my sig below and I have a decent amount of cooling... all air cooled btw. and my rig normally does not go above 40c... case temps are relatively low now with the temps dropping in florida :)

48c is not bad... if it routinely starts shooting past 50 you may have more to worry about... but like I said... if you have better case cooling and better heatsink installed your temperature will drop automatically due to that :)

48° isn't that bad. but is that idle or under full load? if it's idle, you might want to do something about it. like taking your heatsink off, cleaning it and the cpu, and carefully reapplying thermal compound and reattaching the heatsink. if you're confident your heatsink is installed right, you might want to invest in a new one, then.

my 1.4ghz athlon, which puts out a hefty 73.5 watts of heat, only gets to 50° in the summer under full load. doesn't go above 46° right now in the winter.

I have an XP 1900; and I just bought and installed a Thermaltake Volcano 9; finally :)

With Cooler Master Thermal Compound; it's not arctic silver; but I like it just as much.

The ide temps are 30C, and under full load it's around 39, 40C

I got this setup for 40 dollars; with a coolmod fan; with little led lights on it; blue and red.

Without it; you can get the whole thing for about 35 dollars off googlegear.com; with shipping.

Go for it! It will lower your temps; and you'll be happy :)

A word about your temperatures; if this at full load; it's allright. If these are idle temperatures; go out and get a new HSF

It'll leak! I'll leak I tell you!

In the words of Mubbers;

Everything that has to do with water; and pipes; will at once certain point leak!

leak? no no no. anyway if you have the, um.... testicular fourtitude to try water cooling, i am sure that when it does leak you don't care.

There are no absolute temps, it's always in relation to your case temp, You have a spread of about 14 degrees which is fine. Even if you were consistantly in the 50's that is still well within spec.

As far as fancy HSFans, seems like many of the high end rigs use $12 Coolermaster coolers. It's more about good case layout and ventilation.

As far as paste/grease/Arctic Silver goes. AMD does not recommend their use. AMD wants pads.

Some good reading here, page 8 has some nice diagrams:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26003.pdf

As far as paste/grease/Arctic Silver goes. AMD does not recommend their use. AMD wants pads.

AMD just want ur cpu to burn out so u buy a new one lol

thanks guys for all the info,even when ripping dvds and downloading seems fine

thanks a lot

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back