cpu temp REALLY high

theevilsithlord

Hail to the King, Baby!
ok is this bad? i have an athlon xp 2800+ (barton) no overclocking or anything, standard fan, gigabyte mobo. Today my cpu temp hit 67C after being on for a few days and playing a game, but the system still ran normal. the system temp is more normal, like 37C. Now should i run and buy a better fan?

My laptop has hit about 70C on very high load...running a P4 @ 2.4 GHz. As long as it's not consistently high, I wouldn't worry about it.
But of course, the cooler, the better :)

I'm no expert but I wouldn't say 67C is dangerous high for a 2800+. Did the room your computer was in happen to get any hotter? How many fans do you have? Also what was the temp at before? I wouldn't be to worried about it myself but thats me .. some ppl have to have it as low as they can get it :)

*Edit* - doh beat :(

alright wheeeww, i got a little worried there. I was looking around and people were talking about getting athlons oc'ed on stock fan to stay under 40C, and now i think its just a bunch of bs

well, maybe in alaska...

well, im in a dorm and my computer is right next to the heater, which has been on, i have 2 case fans, one on top sucking in, and one in the back going out. Normally it runs 50-60C

I have a 2500,2600,1800pm,and a 1800thuroughbred. All have different type fans. some all aluminum one with copper base, and one is a speaze model. they all run at about 45c. The 1800 thuroughbred is in a shuttle case which has a case temp of 40c and it is the highest but only 47c.

Get it the hell away from the heater!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't suck hot air in and expect it to cool anything. A friend of mine fried his computer because it was getting hit by the heat from a vent. Heater outlet air can be 140 deg F (thats 60 deg C).

As for temps, anything over 60 deg C is pushing your luck. Mean Time Between Failures goes up exponentially with temperature.

Clean the dust off your fans, especially the CPU.

thx Lee i should clean off the fans. Also ya ill have to move it on my desk, even if itll create a bit of clutter :)

Hey, you're in Illinois. So am I. I'd help a fellow Ilsie anyday. Like already mentioned, get it away from the heater, that's a damn bad idea. In fact... as far away from it as possible.

haha I guess it's good I asked about room temp :p

Originally posted by theevilsithlord
well, im in a dorm and my computer is right next to the heater, which has been on, i have 2 case fans, one on top sucking in, and one in the back going out. Normally it runs 50-60C
there's one problem. heat rises so your fan on top should be blowing out as well as any fans in back. you don't necessarily need to worry about having intake fans because air will find it's way in through the front anyway.

and what kind of themal compound/pad do you have between your cpu and heatsink?

ok thx taurus ill try pointing them both out. The manual for my cpu says it doesnt need thermal compound (it didnt come with any either) - there are pads on top of the processor. I think thats a little strange. Can i still use thermal compound?

Pads work, sort of. Not the best in the world (artic silver is) but I wouldn't pull the whole thing apart to remove them now, risk of damage is high.

If the heater is forced air you can get a plastic air vent deflector at Sutherlands or Walmart for $2. If it's radiant heat distance is the key.

Ummm, the one on top should be blowing out.. thats why its a "blow hole" heat rises, your just pushing it down and making it come out the side... bad idea! have the side suck, and top blow... :eek: haha, you'll definitly see improvments, i promise... unless the heater is by the side fan.

and yeah, move it away from the heater! your asking for trouble with it there.

catch'ya later.

ok thx taurus ill try pointing them both out. The manual for my cpu says it doesnt need thermal compound (it didnt come with any either) - there are pads on top of the processor. I think thats a little strange. Can i still use thermal compound?
are you talking about the 4 black pads on the corners of the processor? those are to keep the heatsink from tilting and cracking the core with uneven force.

you need thermal compound! where does it say your cpu doen't need it? if your heatsink had no square pad on the bottom of it when you installed it, you have to have some kind of material between the cpu/heatsink interface. heatsink's usually come with a square bad which does a mediocre job. even if it has one, i strip it off and use some Arctic Silver 3. definitely look some up.

ya the heatsink has the square on the bottom, thx a lot taurus, ill sure be getting some of that

You can't go wrong with AS3. If you feel like it, lap the heatsink. Never hurts. A PCI exaust fan can't hurt, and some hefty cleaning wouldn't either.

ya the heatsink has the square on the bottom, thx a lot taurus, ill sure be getting some of that
Just make sure you clean off all residue from the pad. You don't want both pad and compound.

Also, pads are "use once". If you remove the heatsink you need a new pad or get some compound instead. Compound however doesn't need to be reapplied of you remove the heatsink and put it back on.

alright this is again reallly strange... i moved the computer, cleaned it all out and switched the fans, yet my idle cpu temp has risen to 71C, however my idle System Temp has dropped to 30C. Im definately getting a new fan( im looking into a coolermaster Aero 7) that i want to be quiet and more effective than my current one. Any input would be greatly appreciated. (btw... when i get a new fan does it come with thermal compound or do i buy it?)

this is insane... i just hit 78C... im pretty sure it shouldnt go over 80... maybe the cables are getting in the way or something.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back