[!] CPU Speed Wrong

Nick M

OSNN Veteran Addict
Problem: Took out old XP 1900, put in new XP 2600 ( 333MHZ Front Side Bus ) and motherboard recognizes it as a XP2000.

It supports up to XP 2600 , the board is Gigabyte GA7VRXP Revision 2.0. I did a BIOS update, same problem. Set clock multiplier ( which appears as little switches on my board ) to 12.5x, still nothing.

Motherboard FSB is 266, and that's all it supports. The CPU is 333, so perhaps that's the problem?

Also, in the BIOS " CPU Host Clock : 133 "

Vcore voltage : " Normal "

Please help, I've got 10 days to return it... :(Motherboard Link

Yep, definitely the cpu is the problem. If your motherboard only supports 266mhz fsb, thats all the cpu will run at. ie 133x12.5 = 1.66ghz ~= XP2000. If you have overclocking options though you can probably take it higher, to the 166mhz fsb. If not it looks like you'll have to get a 266mhz fsb cpu.

I have the 7VRXP too. FSB 333 is not supported so you will never get the full performance out of the chip. There are some older threads in here about where to find the info on trying to make the 7VRXP work at 333. I've looked at them and they all require overclocking the FSB which is possible with the board, but can cause instability at best and at worst could fry the video and PCI cards. You also have to have the 1.1 or 2.0 version MB's and use the F6 (does not support COPs) bios.

Setting the multiplier to 12.5 x 133 = 1666 which is the clock for an XP2000. You need the F10 bios or latter to recognize chips above XP2000.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-7VRXP(2.0).htm

I've updated to F12 with no problems. There is no guarantee the bios will fix the problem though. I thought the Barton chips were not multiplier locked, but I'm not sure if they will work with 266 FSB and higher multiplier on the 7VRXP. If you try the bios update and get the Barton speed up to 2500 please let me know.

you shoulda looked into this beforehand and you woulda ended up buying the 266fsb 2600+. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back