CPU speed not really relevant now

dave holbon

OSNN Veteran Addict
I’ve just read an article on 64 bit processors and CPU speed in general and the “clash of the titans “Intel and Amd”, short for “telin” and “mad”.

It seems to me that CPU speed is not much of an issue these days, its software execution and design that’s the problem. Also what the hell is a 3Ghz processor going to make to a 56k Internet connection? Any 1Gig processor with 512ram can handle just about all (non server) applications like word processing etc with horsepower left over. The computer (home version) will come of age when you can talk to it and throw away the keyboard and mouse. This will of course require lots more CPU horsepower and memory just like before. But the age of the CPU bottleneck argument ended a year ago.

That's true, almost any 1GHZ processor with 512MD RAM can handle MS Office, AOL, and most games. But; I'm getting AMD XP 2800. Why? I have a sufficent amount of RAM for the time being, but, I need my speed for Bryce 5, and Photoshop. Rendering will be faster. But most people I know would have no use for a 3GHZ processor.

I can't wait till they make virtual reality. I really really can't. One that will run on PCS, with the proper equipment of course.

Then again, for me, having a really hot PC is cool. So that's why I will keep upgrading, even if I don't really need the components.

Try telling that to gamer

nobody hammers a PC like a gamer :)

faster PC's will always be sought after

regardless of internet connection :p

The computer will come of age when it can read your thoughts :)

Windows AI

:cool:

Oh God. Windows AI. Bill Gates to user " Nick, Would you like to sign up for my awsome .Net passport...please do so " every other 30 minutes...

LOL

Hey but nick you gotta admit windows has come a long way in the last 5 x yr who knows what could happen in the next 10 - 20 yr

:p

That's really true. I remember windows from a while ago, I was a really little kid and I had windows 3. something on an IBM laptop. I also remember browsing somewhere to start a game, it was a color game, called Dofus, or something like that. Side scrolling I think. Somthing with a boy and a dog, not sure :) Anyway, Windows has changed quite a lot. Wonder if it's going to change for the worst, or for the better. Don't know for sure, but all that copy right stuff is scaring me.

BTW We took Holbon's thread off topic. :p

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
Try telling that to gamer

nobody hammers a PC like a gamer :)

faster PC's will always be sought after

regardless of internet connection :p

The computer will come of age when it can read your thoughts :)

Windows AI

:cool:

Gamers need to spend their money on graphics cards and Direct X9

Originally posted by Nick M
We'll speed up.

I notice that your bar graph spends more time going backwards than forwards.

This is a contradiction is it not?

hahahaha. I just noticed that. Nope.

I gotta give is a NOS boost make over, but I'm too lazy.

You can't as they are an electromachanical device.

Is this spelt right?

That’s because they measure sound in Volume Units, which has a direct relationship between voltage and current. Bar Graphs merely measure peaks.

lol being weird isn't bad. I think I made EPunk run away. There are weird wired people around :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back