cpu overheated

kev59

OSNN Senior Addict
i have just had my cpu fan pack up and the computer shut it self down so i fitted a new one. but my comp will not boot up .there is power there but nothing happens. will my cpu be dead or is there any thing i can do as i cannot afford to replace it

When you turn the computer on, is the fan running? Is everything else in there running? And what are your specs?

does the monitor turn on? do you hear any beeps? you try clearing the cmos?

Originally posted by taurus
do you hear any beeps? you try clearing the cmos?
give that a go. and if you hear a number of beeps post how many. also is the heatsink installed properly and are you using thermal grease or pad.

Originally posted by kev59
my comp will not boot up

only takes a few seconds without a fan to kill your cpu
sorry but I think its dead
you may have damaged your mobo as well

:(

What kind of processor? If it's an AMD does the MB have a fast thermal shutdown.

Loss of the fan may be survivable.

If the heat sink was off (like a broken clip) survival chance is 0.

Survival chances are supposed to be better with a P4 than an AMD but from posts I've seen in here I wouldn't bet my processor on it.

If it's an AMD does the MB have a fast thermal shutdown

In major cases this should help cause for example mine was set from default to 125degrees C. ;) . As we all hope kev59 - try your cpu on another system and you'll find the answer alone :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back