CPU or PSU?

box2k2

OSNN Addict
Recently found a problem that baffled me.....

Computer keeps turning off after a while.

Top of case (PSU) is hot to touch, but cools rapidly if the case side is removed.

Added an extractor fan to the back of the case and system is stable again.

BUT.... The BIOS reports a CPU idle of somewhere around 57, seen it as high as 60:eek: . Rather not think about it at load :(

Is the PSU on the way out? If so why the hot CPU?

Is the CPU on the way out? If so why the hot PSU?

If you had heat trouble in one area it could be a heat problem with the cpu. Try a better fan if possible on the cpu. If the psu is OK after a new fan maybe it will be good for the cpu as well.

If the problem returns & it keeps rebooting go here & turn that feature off. Right click my computer/properties/advanced/startup & recovery/settings. Untick auto restart. If it happens again you will get an error popping up telling you what is going on.

sounds like you're just having generally high temps. if you have a location for a second rear (exhaust) fan, definitely put one there. and maybe think about replacing your heatsink or at least the fan on it.

what type of heatsink do you have? how was it applied?

could you please post the specs on your processor as well as the wattage (and brand) of your PSU.

okay, nevermind about the CPU, I see it's an XP 2000+

what kind of HSF do you have on that? did you move the case around or anything, have you reseated the HSF recently?

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back