CPU is running at 100%

B

blueyedboy

Too many Icons next to my clock... cant make em go away. CPU just gets slowere the longer I am on my machine until I reboot. I want to edit the registry or reduce the amount of resources than run on startup. How do I get in, what can I remove?

Cheers

beb

well go to Start > programs > startup and then delete some stuff from there initially...

also if you can list the items you have in your taskbar and your STARTUP thinger... we can help tell you what you don't need :)

Also have a look at startup in msconfig.
Start/run type msconfig then go to startup. Have a look in there.

Give aspy a try, its one of the handiest tools i've ever used.
It shows everything thats run at startup.
from there you can pretty much delete everything. DO NOT delete userinit.exe from startup tho, this is the only file it shows that is 100% essential you do not delete :) :)

Posted by Sazar
well go to Start > programs > startup and then delete some stuff from there initially...

also if you can list the items you have in your taskbar and your STARTUP thinger... we can help tell you what you don't need :)

Start > programs > startup = Adobe Gamma Loader, Microsoft Office & Norton Disk Doctor.

On the task bar there is ...

Quicktime, Norton Antivirus, Tiny Personal Firewall, Kazaa,windows messenger, and my ADSL thingy.

well, both kazaa and messenger have an option in preferences to load/not load at startup. one good rule..always go into preferences/options on apps to see if there is an option to not load at startup.

Posted by andy_rose
well, both kazaa and messenger have an option in preferences to load/not load at startup. one good rule..always go into preferences/options on apps to see if there is an option to not load at startup.

I always choose not to add it to startup, but Kazaa just ignored me! And then i went into preferences, and turned it off, but it didnt. But Aspy that Speedy B recommended has done the Job.

As for Trojans within Kazaa, I have ran ad-aware through my system and removed all ad programs, and also I have been to www.cexx.org & downloaded a zip file called 'cdclint' which replaces the spyware file in Kazaa with a dud version!

Result..
No Spyware, No Adware, No problems.

Thanks for all of your advice.

BEB.

Registry route to remove items in startup

Here is the registry route in XP HE to eliminate items from the startup list in msconfig\startup. Note that this only removes them from the list not off your machine. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\sharedtools\msconfig\startupfolder or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\sharedtools\msconfig\reg Then find the programs you want to delete and right click and delete. Good luck.

Posted by Kevin Ar18
Have you also checked it with your antivirus program?

Trojan Horse
http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/T/Trojan_horse.html
A destructive program that masquerades as a benign application. Unlike viruses, Trojan horses do not replicate themselves but they can be just as destructive. One of the most insidious types of Trojan horse is a program that claims to rid your computer of viruses but instead introduces viruses onto your computer.

Yes I have run Norton Anti Virus 2002 several times since I had Kazaa... I get all the live updates every fortnight(ish) too.

Cheers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back