CPU Freaking out

L

leencaci

A couple of questions for the experts here.
Recently my computer just decides to power off and then back on for no reason at all. I even did a clean install of windows XP Pro. After the install I did windows updates. It still reboots when it feels like it. No new hardware and I am not overclocking either. The board is Intel D865GBF and Intel P4 3.0HT. I thought maybe bad memory so I changed it out with 512MB 2700DDR (just happened to have some lying around). Hours go by. Even played a game for a while. Then it did it again. I even replaced the 350W powersupply with a 400W. Could it be my motherboard?

Second, the screensaver quit working. no matter what time I set it to start it won't. This is happening hours after a fresh install. I am at a loss.

What could be the root of my evil?

leencaci

It could be anything in the case or the power quality coming from the wall.

You've already covered most of the usual contributors (PSU, Memory, no overclocking), you have a good chipset and reputable MB manufacturer

Power coming in - any signs of power problems? Lights flickering, digital clocks getting reset?

Heat - what are your CPU (45-55 deg C) and MB (35-40 deg C) temperatures. Check fans and heatsinks for dust build up and blow them off if dusty. (Dust gets bad in winter due to the dry heat.)

Add in cards - if you have NIC, Sound, etc. take them out and run for a couple hours. If it clears up put them back in one at a time. (I had a sound card causing regular crashes for 2 months before I upgraded and magically the problems went away.)

Make sure you have an up to date antivirus installed and run a complete scan. A windows reinstall without a reformat would not remove a virus. AVG is a good freeware antivirus if you don't have one. http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Also, go to bios and change the power management setting so that the system doesn't reboot on a failure. Then you can get the failure info off the Blue Screen and post it. The BSOD guru's may be able to help pinpoint the problem.

Right click my computer/properties/advanced/startup & recovery/settings. In there untick auto restart. Now you should get an error box popping up to give you a clue on what the problem is.

Temps are OK CPU 35C and MB 28C, 31C. Power from the wall is fine. Running NAV 2003. This is crazy. CPU been up for 8 hours. And not a problem. let's see how much longer it will last. Screensaver still won't turn on though. I am powering off my monitor. ARUGHHHH!!!

leencaci

O.K. first thing you could try is to power down the system and then disconnect the HDD cable from the MoBo and from the HDD... reconnect making sure that they are seated firmly. Set your Bios to default and reboot. Let it run for as long as it can and do whatever you would do normally with it and see if it still has the problem.

Another thing you can do since you have reinstalled XP once already is to, pull all your expansion cards out. Only reinstall the Vid Card, Network Card and HDD and CD Drive. reformat and reinstall XP.

After it is up and running for a long long while and there is no problems start installing your other Cards... Sound Card and anything else you had in it.

But I remember that there was one particular Windows Update that was causing problems with some Computers. It was causing the shutdown/reboot thing that you are experiencing. I know because it happened to me. I did a restore to the point before the update and it never happened again. Now you said that you did all the updates to your system. Did it start to have this problem before or after you did the updates. If it was after you can, again, reinstall XP then after everything is cool start to install the updates one by one and if your system starts to do what you have discribed then restore back to before you did that particular update and then see if it fixes it.

Good Luck :)

Ok here is the lateset Bluescreen info

Problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

yadda..yadda

If problem persists disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing

Technical Information:
Stop: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFE8,0x00000001,0x8051818b73,0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

I looked in my BIOS and I do not have any memory options that I can change.

Hope ya'll can help

leencaci

you sure this isnt the rpc/blaster worm? the symptoms sound very similar. turn on xp firewall

Originally posted by Leedogg
you sure this isnt the rpc/blaster worm? the symptoms sound very similar. turn on xp firewall

GOOD POINT. :eek:

Originally posted by leencaci
What could be the root of my evil?

leencaci

Either you smoke waay too much pot, or you live in a haunted house. The only logical explanations. :D

No, in all seriousness (edited because of the link that is above this post)

Damn, beat me to it.

Your last blue screen info says intermittent memory error.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back