CPU Failure Help!

rem1x6

Brian = D
I have an ASUS A7V8X motherboard and a 2000+ AMD Athlon XP processor. I've had this computer for a little over 2 years now and for some reason right not i have a big problem with it. While im using the computer at random the monitor would turn off. I thought it was the monitor's problem, however when i restart the computer it says "CPU has failed system test". When i let it sit for about 10 minutes it'll turn back on and boot into windows again and i can continue my work, sometimes however it just shuts off the screen when i enter windows. So the CPU keeps failing i think. What should i do? My motherboard keeps saying my cpu has failed system test. I've tried remounting my CPU and adding more arctic sliver to it. Didn't seem to work very well = / Please help me!

Sounds like a thermal problem.

1) If you do not clean out your system regularly (at least twice a year):
Get a can of "electronics duster" spray. Turn off and unplug the computer then open the case and blow the dust off of the following:
-CPU heat sink and fan
-Video card heatsink and fan(if any)
-Chipset heatsink (and fan)
-memory sticks
-Case fans
-inside the power supply through the fan opening and vent slots
-And now dust out the rest.
After 2 years they will all be nasty but the power supply will be the worst.
Make sure you do not knock off any of the little plastic jumpers or cables.

WARNING! The garage is the best place to do this and wear a dust mask.

Now reassemble and see if the problem clears up.

2). Also, Check the CPU temperature in the Bios at boot. Run the system for 20 minutes (if it's working) then reboot and check the temperature. It should be under 50 deg C.

The heatsink fan on the cpu could have gotten loose or the thermal paste dried out. If the temp is high come on back (or just search the other posts in here) for help on the heatsink fan reinstall/replacement.

Umm, the fan on the CPU is turning right?

What kinda temps are you running?

Do you have another CPU that you can use to check it with?

About the "CPU failure" I don't trust it, I have a 2200+ here that supposedly passes all tests, but will not allow any system to boot. I have tried it in three mobo's.

Please don't post the same thing in multiple forums, thanks

Threads merged

Yes the fan is turning. Im using a Thermaltake a TT. Its a Smart & Silent Volcano 9. 80mm also

(This is one of the times that my computer randomly acually boots up and shows something on my monitor)

CPU temperature is: 44.5 C and 112 F

Im guessing my CPU is fine. I'll try the electrical spray =D
Please keep giving me more advice on this problem please

The volcano 9 is a good heatsink, it's what I'm using.

If you are using either the under chip sensor or the variable speed knob check to make sure they are still working. Turn the knob up and the fan should get louder. I think pulling the under chip sensor makes the fan go to max speed so you can see if it is running really slow that way.

The 44 deg C is high for an initial boot up temp but ok if the machine has been running for a while. If you have a temp monitor utility use that to check the temp when the system has been on for a while and see if the temp goes above 50 deg C.

If you don't have one you can get mother board monitor here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

BTW Adding more arctic silver can hurt not help. You need to clean off the old stuff and put a thin, uniform layer of new silver back on. Check the fan and temp's before redoing the thermal paste though.

There is a bug in ASUS bios's that will often tell you the cpu has failed when it hasn't.

Mine does it every time I switch on - (excpet min has that voice thingy too).

I wouldnt worry about it until it point blank refuses to turn on.

In the mean time as others have suggested - check that its not getting too hot - leave a side panel off for a few days and see if the problem goes away - if it does you need a bigger case with 120mm fans to shift some air around.

Well the original fan that came with my volcano 9 broke becuase i had alittle accident with it when i first got my computer. I Accidently stuck my finger inside it (don't ask how i did that one) but im using the heat sink for it. The fan is an 80mm thermal take also. Automatic speed adjust not manual like the original fan that came with the volcano 9. I'm still gonna try the electrical dust sprayer

"The heatsink fan on the cpu could have gotten loose or the thermal paste dried out. If the temp is high come on back (or just search the other posts in here) for help on the heatsink fan reinstall/replacement. "

- LeeJend

Acually i took off my door to my case and left it open and i pushed in the heat sink in a little and moved it incase the heatsink was loose. I put little pressure on it and suddenly it turns on into windows. Im following LordofLA's advice and leaving this door open until i get some spray. However it still says CPU failure sometimes and sometimes it still boots =/ the problem is almost solved!

There is a bug in ASUS bios's that will often tell you the cpu has failed when it hasn't.

Mine does it every time I switch on - (excpet min has that voice thingy too).

I wouldnt worry about it until it point blank refuses to turn on.

In the mean time as others have suggested - check that its not getting too hot - leave a side panel off for a few days and see if the problem goes away - if it does you need a bigger case with 120mm fans to shift some air around.

rem, that could be the thermal sensor for the automatic heat control causing a problem. I personally consider the things an accident waiting to happen.

If the problem persists or gets worse switch to the manual adjustment for the fan.

Good luck.

:Update:

I think i found the problem. Possibly my heatsink may be loose. Each time i move my heat sink and push it it a little or just in general move it in a little my processor is willing to cooperate and boot up for me. HOWEVER new problem has occured.

My computer constantly freezes due to the slightest movement to my computer case for example. Unplugging a USB port to my computer causes movement to my case and it freezes up. I accidently nudged it with my foot it freezes. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Back to my comment. If you have an under chip temperature sensor for the fan Check the hsf sensor. If it has rubbed through where it weaves through the CPU pins it could be causing the problem.

Other possibilities:
-Check all your MB connectors and make sure they are seated completely.
-Check that the MB is not shorting out at one of the screws that hold it down. Make sure the screw heads are centered over the pads where they go in. This is usually a new build problem but time, thermal cycling and shocks could loosen and move the MB.

PS Quit moving the Heatsink around. You can easily damage the CPU doing that, it's made out of a sliver of glass and can crack. And the heatsink should not be that loose either.

Update

OKay i took apart my computer sprayed it down with electrical spray and everything. Not one speck of dust and i think it did the trick with my CPU always failing system test. Now it boots up and no problems with booting. However now one more problem arises. A slight tap of the computer case or movement of it like taking out a USB port while being on, it freezes. Then my monitor says that it has no signal from my DVI port. Any help?

try getting an older monitor and going vga instead of dvi. also try swapping with an old video card, see if you dvi port may have been damaged, if your card may have been damaged, or if this is one of the million things in a computer where something that claims to be messed up is totoally unrelated to what is.

Well i don't kno what really is wrong. My DVI port is working fine acually its just that when the computer freezes up if i wait a little bit for about 30 secs my DVI port says no signal. Maybe somethign is wrong with my videocard?

Are you by chance OC'ing the vid card? If not you might want to seriously consider RMA'ing the card, Or at least contacting customer support.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back