CPU Core Voltage adjustment question

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
Ok, i was browsin this one website, and one of the how-to's was on soldering resistors for when you increase your CPU's voltage. now.... is this actually necessary if you up the voltage slightly? like with my P4 2.4C that i have running at 3.0 now. I can get it to about 3,376Mhz, but anything higher, and my PC either doesn't start to POST, or it will show the desktop in windows, and freeze a split second after. And i've read story's from people who have pushed their 2.4C up to 3.4 or 3.6 and just upped the voltage a bit. is not having the voltage high enough causing the lockups?

increasing the core voltage can increase stability when overclocking, but it also creates substantially more heat with it, and Northwoods are known to suddenly die if their voltage is too high (something like 1.75 i think)

Plus it should be said if you start overvolting as well as overclocking you are generating the heat not just within the processor die, but also in the surrounding VRM (voltage Regulator Modules) and associated capacitor circuitry - all of which is by and large passively cooled.

But if you truly want to O/C you will undeniably end up overvolting too - just be aware this is where you are entering all sorts of dangerous territory in terms of system lifespan!

damn.... that's what i kinda figured. my CPU fan could probably give some of the other stuff a bit of a cool-down, but i still don't wanna make my CPU wind up dieing even faster than i probably already have by having a 600-800Mhz overclock.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back