CPU cooler for AMD 64 939?

NathanA

OSNN Addict
Hey guys...any suggestions as to a good CPU cooler for my AMD 64 3500+ (soc 939)? I would prefer not to have to take out the mobo, but will if it's mandatory. Cost is not an issue, but I do want an active fan-cooled unit. What do you suggest?

Thanks!

Mine is fine with stock mmm not sure what to tell you , but I am sure thermaltake has something good

all u have to do is open the window kermit :p yeah hes right thermaltake has some really good stuff

Yeah mines pretty good with stock, but I wanna overclock a bit and want a little better cooler before doing so...just wondering if anyone has any experience with some of the aftermarket ones...

actually correct me if im wrong, but the aftermarket ones cool better than the stock ones, as that is their aim, i know mine does

NathanA said:
Just did some reading on this one and it sounds great! Quiet and cheap...AND, it outperforms the stock HS...sweet. Thanks!

Sure thing :p. Let me know how it works out for you. I was thinking about ordering one.

Yeah the Freezer64 is probably one of the top 2 aftermarket 939 coolers you can get :D

I wouldn't recommend the Freezer64 to anyone. Mine lasted about 2 weeks until the ceramic spindle in the fan broke and it ground to a halt, and it appears to be a common fault with them.
Had it not been a heatpipe design it would probably have cooked my brand new chip.
Don't get me wrong - while it worked it was quiet and kept the CPU about 5 degrees cooler than the stock one which is one there now, but i wouldn't risk it again.

I mailed Arctic Cooling... 3 weeks ago and still waiting for a response

gonaads said:
Hey LordOfLA, how did the Zalman "nearly" kill yer 64?

It was exceedingly well glued to the chip. So I can testify that they make very good contact thi them so its probaly doing a ncie job of cooling...but when you want to take it out again....

It went BANG!! and popped out the socket. Few bent pins but nothing major. Its a testament to the definite improvement in build quality of amd cpus now.. but damn...you could probably have seen through me at tht pint in time...

I never want £200 of computer equipment to do that to me again... I dont need to be sheet white at the ripe young age of 24 :D

LordOfLA said:
I never want £200 of computer equipment to do that to me again... I dont need to be sheet white at the ripe young age of 24 :D

Hahahaha... Ooops, sorry. I just got this mental pic... :eek: :p

thermaltake Silent Boost looks quite good. Not sure why they have other similar HSF with a fan controller though.

themafia.69 said:
all u have to do is open the window kermit :p yeah hes right thermaltake has some really good stuff
actually believe it or not canada is now like 25-30C yesterday on my way back from school it was 29 so opening the window might make it hotter :(

LordOfLA said:
...It went BANG!! and popped out the socket. Few bent pins but nothing major. Its a testament to the definite improvement in build quality of amd cpus now.. but damn...you could probably have seen through me at tht pint in time...

Pretty damn scary! I'm using a Zalman (92mm) for my A64 rig, seems to do its job pretty well...haven't been unlucky enough to have it fall apart on me yet. Think I might try and reapply the thermal solution later, gives me another reason to see if it's in properly :D

For an AMD 939 cooler, well, I haven't had any problems with my Zalman, so I could recommend that. There's also the Themalrite heatsink (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Thermalright_120.html), which with a 92mm fan of your choice, is a very good cooler. It's a very established company, and it looks like what the thermaltake (not to confuse the two!) X-90 is based heavily on.

CustomPC recommends the Akasa AK-913 (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Akasa_119.html) in their latest round-up of AMD 939 coolers (the Artic cooler came second), but i'm not sure if its readily available in the states.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back