cpu boxed???

S

snaarplukker

Hi all,

Can somebody explane what exactly is the difference between een 'normal' cpu and a 'boxed cpu' ?

Thx from a pc-newbie :p

probably about 50 quid!!

Seriously tho, A boxed CPU probably comes with a manual for installing it (why i dont know!) and loadsa leaflets, whereas an OEM (or unboxed) CPU comes on its loansome in an antistatic bag. The OEM ones are the same chip just cheaper cos they dont come with all of the bumf!

[I think OEM is the right term to use, if not im sure someone will correct me!]

Hope this answers ur Q

Retail (boxed) gives you a warranty, certificate of authenticy, heatsink and fan. OEM (correct, silent_bob ;) ) offers no warranty, no certificate, and no heatsink/fan. I'd opt for the retail if you can get it at a reasonble cost.

over here in Canada, OEM comes with waranty, but it will be from the place of sale, not the manufacturer, and its usually shorter. I myself would save the $X and get the OEM version unless there was only a small difference in price. I figure if something is gonna fail, it will do so pretty quick so i can get a new one under warranty.

yeah its the same in the uk as far as i know (its a year i think)

Thx for the reply's,

I thought there was a difference in performance or something but that wasn't....

Thx again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back