couple simple pc questions

S

sojourn

i bought a new mobo. it supports 400mhz fsb. if my processor runs at a different fsb, will that make a difference? also next question. my new mobo supports ultra dma66/100. does the ide cables make a difference in that? thanks!

if you have a 400mhz bus mobo... and get a processor with a 533mhz bus, a 2.4ghz processor will only run at 1.8ghz.this is because there is a multiplier associated with the processor:

2400mhz/533mhz= 4.5 multiplier

if you run it at 400mhz bus instead of 533mhz like it's made for...

400mhz*4.5= 1800mhz

but if your mobo supports 533mhz and 400mhz bus speeds, either will work. but "older" ones with only a 400mhz bus, you'll want to get a 400mhz bus processor.

oh, about your ide question... there are 2 different types of ide cabls. older "40-conductor" ones which only support up to ata33 or ata66 (don't remember) and are still fine for optical drives... and "80-conductor" which are flatter and support up to ata133.

40-conductor have fewer, larger grooves along the cable... 80-conductor has more, smaller grooves.

well my processor i *think* is 100mhz FSB , a 1.7ghz p4 478socket

edit: i did your math you had their.

1700mhz (processor) / 100mhz = 17

400 X 17 = 6800

hmm does that mean it would run my processor at 6.8Ghz? that is bad lol

well, no.. okay... intel boards/procs are weird with their stuff. intel 100mhz is "quad-pumped" to 400mhz... that's what they call it. so 533mhz is more like 133mhz.

in other words, your board will be compatible with any 100mhz/400mhz processor... they're the same.

hmm i got ide cables with my mobo btw, one has two of the wires twisted and the otherone doesnt, explain that one heh

example:

|===|=======|
|x==|=======|
|===|=======|

that help?

the one with the set of wires twisted is for your floppy drive and that's all.

i'll try to find pics of what i'm talking about. but the visual difference between the two different types of ide cables isn't very dramatic.

ok cool i can toss that one since i dont use floppy. and here i took pics of the other ide's i got. gimme a moment to upload them

ide.jpg

theirs the one i threw out.

one of my older ones were kind enough to have printed ata-66 on the cables. the other two didnt say anything but prolly the other one that came with my mobo has the 66/100 compatable right?

the one you threw out is a special ata166 cable!

kidding, it's garbage.. but, anyway... here's a page that'll help:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

the second pic shows you the physical difference. you will need the top one for (80-conductor) for anything over ata66. so that one with "dma66" or whatever printed on it should be 80-conductor and support up to ata133.

and btw, all of them i own were 80-conductor so whichever ones i use wont make a difference right?

yeah, 80-conductor can be used for any drive. just make sure master is on the end (black) and slave is in the middle (grey).

Originally posted by taurus
if you have a 400mhz bus mobo... and get a processor with a 533mhz bus, a 2.4ghz processor will only run at 1.8ghz.this is because there is a multiplier associated with the processor:

2400mhz/533mhz= 4.5 multiplier

if you run it at 400mhz bus instead of 533mhz like it's made for...

400mhz*4.5= 1800mhz

but if your mobo supports 533mhz and 400mhz bus speeds, either will work. but "older" ones with only a 400mhz bus, you'll want to get a 400mhz bus processor.

i was talking to a friend and he says if my motherboard is 400mhz FSB (which it is) and my pcu is only 100mhz fsb (which it also is) that it would in fact o/c my pcu and fry it. now im scared. anyone elses opinions?

Did you purchase a Pentium 4 or a new generation Celeron?

If so, then you will have no trouble running your FSB at 400mhz.

What Intel does, is pump 4x the information per cycle thus effectively giving a 400mhz FSB.

100 x 4

the 533's run at 133 mhz (all this has been covered in the above posts just read them)

You are NOT overclocking your CPU when your running it at 400mhz FSB

its a regular p4. my 1.7ghz p4 from my dell i owned. since its 100fsb and the mobo at 400fsb. it will run at 400fsb right? thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back