counterspy ( false positive )

wadada

OSNN Senior Addict
hmmm i think my counterspy found a false positive but im not sure, can anyone tell me ?

sw.jpg

A quick google reveals that it's a legit system file (for VB and other things). Perhaps just try having it checked via an AV site? Kaspersky is a good one ... kaspersky. :)

yeah i have a good antivirus myself too, just wanted too know why counterspy say its spyware, its for years on my computer lol, thank you anyway :)

I read an article in Maximum PC awhile back with a solid review of CounterSpy. Also my experience is that it has false positives alot

well back too good old ad-aware, did a full systemscan and didnt find anything, uninstalled counterspy, i not like false positives :laugh: lol

anyone knows or recommend some other good reliable good anti spyware program ?

wadada said:
well back too good old ad-aware, did a full systemscan and didnt find anything, uninstalled counterspy, i not like false positives :laugh: lol

anyone knows or recommend some other good reliable good anti spyware program ?

I am no expert, but here is basically the rules I follow when it comes to Virii or Spyware:

1. FIRST and foremost, make sure Windows is up to date. Alot of virii and spyware are able to get in due to exploiting security holes that have since been patched. If you decide to "clean" first, you are just as succeptable to infection. Patch first :)
  2. Make sure your AV protection is up to date, same logic as before
  3. Download MS Antispyware, and either Ad-Aware or Webroot SpySweeper. I prefer Ad-Aware, only because it's free, and webroot is only a trial. MS is also free, and provides the real-time protection. After installation, update all definitions.
  4. Download WinsockXPFix. This is CRUCIAL, if you loose your internet connection after removing spyware (see below) there is obviously no way to download it.
  5. Download HiJackthis, run scan, remove all offenders. This will help get rid of some threats running in memory.
  6. Reboot computer, into safe mode without networking. (Virii and Spyware tend to flex more muscle with an enthernet connection to work with).
  7. If your AV is configured correctly, it should be "on-access". This is helpful because say, while you are doing a scan with either M$ or Adaware, if it comes across a virus, your AV will detect it. So, start with M$ first, mostly because I found that is the best for being able to terminate a process if it is running, and remove it. Ad-Aware, and sometimes SpySweeper can't remove some serious offenders until after the next reboot.
  8. If started with M$, run other scan, Ad-Aware or SpySweeper.
  9. Reboot into windows normally, do a scan with Ad-Aware, this should come up relatively clean.
Obviously, some cases are MUCH worse than others, but 9 times out of 10 that has worked well for me. Keep in mind, if any machine is REALLY hosed, the registry might be real messed up, that in combination with the time it could take if the machine is bogged by active processes, you are better doing a re-install if the data is backed up.

Also, sometimes if you remove spyware it could cripple your TCP/IP stack, and that is where the WinsockXPFix comes into play.

Hope that helps...

ty, but everything is up to date on my computer, and i never have spyware, it was just this counterspy who gave a false positive, but thanks for the tips !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back