Could this back up method work???

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Since ill be re-installing windows on a machine, i dont want to go through the procces of "backing up" files on a dvd-rom, could i partition the hard drive Leaving C for the system and like a "Z" for all the backed up files. Then when i install xp, can i over write c and will all my back ups on "Z" still be ok???

one word answer...... yes.

more elaborate answer: Yes.

can't really elaborate on that actually. lol. when you install XP, you're installing it on one partition. Hence, if you have two partitions, with one set for backups (be it drivers/apps you can install post-format, or an actual backup to restore (but since you asked if your backups would be safe after reinstalling XP, i'm assuming not the latter)) and you format and install on the same partition XP is on now, you will only be doing stuff with that partition. all others will be safe.

i've done what you are thinking for quite some time now, keeping my drivers, anime, music, etc... on one partition, and installed XP on another. even most retail PC manufacturers now tossed backup CD's for a backup partition on the hard drive.

hell...... at one point i even transferred stuff to my laptop to save it. my laptop basically turned into a removable backup storage that i could view what was backed up on. lol

i even use my Gmini402 20GB MP3 player as removable storage/backup.

ha yea i was thinkin using my ipod for back up as well....so im all good to try that then??? Im pretty happy...

Why not just use the 2nd partition for Personal Data rather than copying it back over to C: drive?

Yup, thats the way I do it, I can format my machine whenever I feel like it and I know I won't lose a thing I really need from my C drive.

Tweaking after is still a pain tho :D

ming: don't think he was talking about copying it back over..... he just wanted to know if he could store files he needed on a secondary partition and still have them be there if he formatted and reinstalled XP on the primary partition.

yea well now im kinda screwed....so i had a recovery partition. I dleted it with Partition matgic which went well, the i tried adding it to resize my c drive (failed now the pc wont start up. I removed the hard drive and hooked it up to my moms as a slave, now thruogh Pm i scanned for errors and i get this......kinda a bummer. So i was thinkin, why not just finish backing up the drive to my moms pc, well once in documents and settings, i cant get into my owners file...is there any way around this???? I need to back up at least 45 more gig...music, movies, programs, games, school...so on and so on....is there anyting i can do????????????

Attachments

• crap.JPG
    crap.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 139
Yup, thats the way I do it, I can format my machine whenever I feel like it and I know I won't lose a thing I really need from my C drive.

Tweaking after is still a pain tho :D

Wouldn't it save the tweaks if you did a registry backup?

Yeah..... one reason why i NEVER resize or merge partitions using PM. i don't think i ever had a good experience with that freakin app.

That being said I have used PM for well over 4 years and never had trouble with it.

What do you mean you cant get in to your folder? Try creating an account using the same name and password you had on your machine on your Mom's machine log on to your new account see if you have access to the folders, if not try using the administrator account that is built into XP , another idea is trying to see who has ownership of the files and changing the NTFS file permissions.

That being said I have used PM for well over 4 years and never had trouble with it.

What do you mean you cant get in to your folder? Try creating an account using the same name and password you had on your machine on your Mom's machine log on to your new account see if you have access to the folders, if not try using the administrator account that is built into XP , another idea is trying to see who has ownership of the files and changing the NTFS file permissions.

when i set up my account, i wanted my files and folders to be private, there for i cant get into them....and i have ownership of the files and dont know how to chnage ntfs permissions...

I have also had major probs with PM, but did the same thing with partitions ie -

C for XP Pro (OS)
D for Program files
E and F for storage

Then when I needed/wanted to reinstall XP, only C was affected without having to reload all the apps again.

Works for me.

i dont want to go through the procces of "backing up" files on a dvd-rom
Unless you don't care if you lose the data you should always have a copy on CD/DVD media. Hard drives are mechanical and can fail at any given moment.

do you know how many dvd's it would take me to back up 60 gig...your crazy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back