Could Not be Defragmented?

A

AaronMcarthur

What does it mean after defragmenting when it tells you some files on the volume could not be defragmented?
Does this mean some files on that drive could not be put in there specific order or arranged correctly?

It's usually because the file was in use... defrag can't do an active file. I've also seen large files remaiin fragmented when defrag doesn't have enough disk space to defragment them.

Just means that some files (such as system or ones in use) could not be defragged. Depends on what software u use, but you could use one with an option to defrag on boot. That way the protected and locked files can be defragged before they're in use.

hmm, i am not sure but i there is this program that will defrag in dos better than windows, so if it is FAT 32 and not NTFS you might want to go hunting for the tool.

I might go looking for that tool, thanks for the help!

Diskeeper will be able to run within Windows AND will defragment all files on your computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back