Could it be my PSU?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

Can a PSU wear out? I got the side of my tower opened and I am trying to figure out why hd's will boot on one occasion, and not the next time. On boot up, the BIOS will ID all the drives installed everytime, but not boot into windows, Now while trying second or third time, it will. It seems that it will boot while I am moving the power wires to the drives around. I have tried all the other connectors on the boot HD, with the same results. How can I test the PSU? I have unplugged all other unneeded drives and fans with the same effect and results. Thanks in advance.

Heeter

UPDATE:

Now, it is not booting at all into the HD( Windows). I have continued testing, thinking it is the PSU. I removed PSU and installed my old one. Still will not boot into windows. I have tried to install a fresh unused HD to reinstall Windows into that one, again it gets recognized at startup BIOS, will load necssary files from CD, but will not boot in the HD. Different PSU, different HD, same results. I am not getting any errors come up from Bios, and I can go into BIos still, but nothing from the HD, either from my ata controller card or directly of IDE slots on mobo. Controller card gets recognized at startup as well. Tried the primary secondary IDE slot switch as well to no effect. Could it be my Mobo???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heeter

UPDATE2:

Well now, after further testing by swapping known good parts with one another either from within the PC, or from another PC, The only thing is left is the mobo. Oh well.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back