Could anyone guess what causes this toggle??

newbienewb

OSNN Newbie
I am Network Administrator in a small organization.I manage few number of Routers,Switches,VPN firewalls.

Management is done through web based management(through browser),through telnet,or through SSH.

One new Cisco 1841 ADSL router terminates incoming internet connection from a service provider, which has connection to VPN firewall and LAN switch (Cisco 2950 series).

I was managing through web based management(i.e from browser, something like http://192.168.1.5)

One fine day, last week, when I entered this address, it got redirected to Cisco 2950 switch and when I refresh the page I get Document Contains No Data.If I refresh the page again at another instance, I get the initial page of Original Device's (Cisco 1841 Router)

I dont know what causes this mess!!

Could anyone guess what causes this toggle??

I'm more into the software management side of things, but has something happened to the switch settings on one or the other of the routers, or has something accidently been activated that shouldn't be?

Or could it be as phsycially simple of the settings going wrong and the hardware needing to be re-initliaised by power off/on?

The hardware experts here should be able to help more :D

I would assume all of your networking hardware has static IP addresses configured.

If you type in 192.168.1.5 and it's not getting you to the right device, that is a bad sign (technical terminology for ya :p)

Is the problem local to one machine though - i.e. can you get to it from that IP from certain machines but not others? Has the IP ever changed?

could it be as phsycially simple of the settings going wrong and the hardware needing to be re-initliaised by power off/on?
I tried this already. Didn't work out! :(

can you get to it from that IP from certain machines but not others? Has the IP ever changed?
I tried this now, but sad that, the same happens! And the IP is the same since the device Cisco 1841 is implemented!

A note: telnet to this ip address, always directed to switch's interface.

And this switch has not been configured to any particular ip address before.

There has to be a stale record somewhere. What is your network setup, i.e. what handles your DHCP/DNS assignments?

can you get to it from that IP from certain machines but not others?
I tried this again now, but sad that, the same happens, from my system, from my department Head's system, but succeeds from other's systems!

So from a total of two PC's - the problem occurs. Everyone else is fine?

Do a tracert from those two boxes and compare results to what you get from the other machines.

Could it be you need the IPs to be in a certain address range? As we have a system here that only allows you admin database access if your PC is within a certain range.

Although possible, I would suspect that is not the issue. It's not that he can't get to it, it's that the IP brings him somewhere else from two machines only.

At least that is how I understood it.

There has to be a stale record somewhere.
It is I hope. So to work around this problem, I just changed the IP of the switch and then tried :up: Now I get the Cisco Router's management page :cool:

Thanks for the suggestion kcnychief!

No problem - glad it worked out :)

Stick around in the forums!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back