Corrupt BIOS screen

A

avsdotcom

Me and a mate put together a system last night using one of the new(ish) ASUS A7V333 boards with 512 MB DDR2700 and an Athlon XP 2000+. Trouble is, when we booted it for the first time, it went straight to CMOS setup and the screen is all corrupted - various numbers,letters and other characters all over the screen make it unreadable - although you can still move about within the screens and from page to page, but its the same on every page.
Am I right in thinking that the mobo is screwed, maybe a faulty BIOS chip ? Any help is appreciated cos I'm gonna have to take it back to the shop we got the bits from, and I wanna be armed with as much info as possible bacause they are renowned around here for fobbing customers off.

Bin that PC 2700 memory and stick a PC2100 one in.

To many issues with that board and 2700 memory.

Actually no, it was pretty late last night and we were getting a bit p****d off with it all. Didn't even consider that - trouble is, with the screen being so screwed up it would make it bloody difficult to see any on screen instructions. Could give it a go tho, worth a try before taking it back :D

BytesBack - even if there are issues with that memory - would that corrupt the BIOS screen ? Seems a bit strange.

Strange that this post should come up now.

I was building a machine with the same components and had all sorts of problems. Bios would lock up, corrupt, tried to install xp and it would constantly blue screen etc etc.

Changed the memory and no problem. :D

Have you tried clearing the cmos memory, by moving the jumper over on the mobo.

My bro encountered the same prob before...
All i did was flashed his bios and bingo... the garbra is gone...
Cheers!

Hi all - thanks for the ideas, but alas after trying all of them we're still getting the same corrupt BIOS screen. Looks like this mobo is screwed :(

Its going back tomorrow, I'm working but my mate's taking it back so its in his hands now. I'll post what happens up here, hopefully it should be a case of a straight swap .But after hearing about a couple of their dodgy engineers reports I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back