Copying DVD/VCD to hard disk

Punkychan

OSNN Addict
Not too sure if this one has been posted before..but could anyone give me a tip on how to copy an entire DVD or VCD into the hard disk ? I've tried this by copying all files into my drive but there is always an error message.

for vcd's the video files are contained inside the mpegav directory usually a .dat file

DVD's however need to be ripped off... search for SmartRipper in google (anyone know of a better ripper?)

for dvd...rip it to hard drive using dvd decrypter or smart rip and of course u gotta have a dvd rom drive to rip it

you could always use deCESS or somthing like that. it used to be hosted at 2600.com, but i think the RIAA made them take it off. i had it for a while, but never had a need to use it.

use VCD GALAXY

To save HDD space convert to MPG using Xmpeg.. did i mention it takes a long time (8-15hrs depending on your CPU)

To make smaller MPG's us IFilmEdit (VCD format)

then Nero or Roxio to burn to CD

:eek:

If you just want to rip the VOB files to hard drive, I use a prog called Clad DVD XP, which you can download here

Theres a good walkthrough on the site for using it, but its pretty straightforward. Takes about 10 mins to rip a full film.

There's a couple of other progs on that site for converting to VCD, SVCD, DivX, etc which are also very good. Ripped Gladiator last night in 5 hours to SVCD and the quality is excellent :D

Thanks guys...would like to try that.If there's a problem will get back to you later..

If you have a limited hard drive there is a proggie out there called
DVDBack up, It buffers the VOB files on your HDD of your memory. I have used it but it was slightly slower that Smart ripper and DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc.

for the ultimate,use smartripper (its the best believe me ive tried them all).you can then code it to an audio visual file(avi file) with something like dvd2avi 176 then use tmpeg coding software to code it to an mpeg 1 or mpeg 2 file this in turn can be chopped up to fit onto cdr(s) and then copied with a programme like nero 5.590( the latest) onto the cdrs. of course you would only be doing this as a backup wouldnt you. as this in any other light might be seen as piracy and we wouldnt want that now would we..............;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back