copmuter restarts for no reason??? HELP

D

DAZZ

every once and a while for NO reason at all my computer just restarts, it doesn't even say any messages or nothing...and it doesn't log-off first or anything???

can anyone HELP???

did u have another OS before XP?
if yes... did it ever happen then?

if yes, id check your Power Suplpy Unit, u might be lacking the power going into the system.
also hardawre... check everythings intact.

if those are not it, id then only think that its a software problem in something that uve set... or bad acpi configuration etc

hey, Lonman and akash

how do i do those things??????????????

For the event viewer logs, Go to Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer. Look for stuff with red X's and make a report for us.

It also sounds like you have a power supply problem. My comptuer randomly reboots since i added a 2nd hard drive, because the crappy 145 watt PS in my comptuer can't handle all my extra stuff :)

Also, make sure the power cables are plugged in firmly.

Another reason is that you have auto reboot on blue screen. If a box comes up after it reboots saying the system has recovered from a fatal error, it means that the system BSODed and automatically did a memory dump and rebooted. Check event log for details (look for red X)

JJB6486

check psu

i agree ,be sure you have enough power for what you have installed, enermax,antec and sparkle are a few of the good ones!

good luck!
da rock

Try This .....

Modify auto-reboot setting

Since Microsoft has worked so hard to make this version "the most stable ever," then this tweak is not needed. However, I am fairly sure that they have not perfected millions of lines of code in less than a year. Below you will discover how to turn the auto reboot feature on and off. This allows your computer to instantly reboot upon a system fault. (The blue screen)

Start Regedit. (start/run/type "regedit" click ok)

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > CrashControl
Select AutoReboot from the list on the right.
Right on it and select Modify.
Change the value to 0 to disable and 1 to enable.
Reboot your computer

My putter was re-starting for no reason too... found out it was a blue screen error....... Did the fix and XP let me see the error so I could fix the problem !!!

:cool:

well i did the registry settings stuff, then for no reason...a thing poped up and said

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer..."

then it has some info of what to do (didn't help) then this...

'...Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of phisical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

Then I restarted my computer, and a message came up, and said "Windows Error" or somthing.

I then clicked on somthing, and a thing opened and said...
"The error was cuased in the error:

D:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini010502-02.dmp
D:\DOCUME~1\evan\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml"

(I think)

So any ideas?????

I beleave that this error is from XP not shutting down right. It stores temp files in these folder that it reads at boot. If the computer restart with-out proper shut-down then the temp files get corrupt and boom the error on boot-up.

Thats just what I think !!!!

Had this happen to me when my putter was not shut-down right !!

But we need to get the memory problem fixed or this will keep happening...

What are you doing at the time of the error ?

:cool:

Same thing happened to us Dazz. Situ only got worse and HDD frazzled. Luckily under warranty and Fujitsu-siemens replacing HDD. But worrying nonetheless.

This problem was especially bad when 'changing users' - and often when the ADSL alcatel modem in use.

Can anyone advise whether using an UPS would be worthwhile ?

Great forum !

Go here:

http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx

There's a search box on the upper left, type in STOP: 0x0000007F. This brings up about 20 articles... start reading. Looks like a hardware issue for sure, but with all the articles on this particular code and not knowing more about your system it's hard for an outsider to pinpoint for you.

I had this happen as well...this fixed it!

My system was working fine, and all of a sudden I would get the same "STOP: 0x0000007F" errors and could not boot into Windows even in safe mode. Tore my PC apart, and got it down to the vid card and one stick of memory. Same thing. Swapped the DDR stick with my other one and it has worked fine since. My other Crucial PC2100 DDR stick has gone bad. Definately hardware. Although, my event viewer always shows acpi errors after rebooting. Mobo is Abit KG7 with 5W BIOS. Anyone heard anything on the acpi thing in XP?

yes, I get acpi errors as well, but my comp runs fine, so I just leave it.

I believe an update in the BIOS will fix it. It is pretty harmless as far as I can tell...

soryr for not replying
seems most people have already replied in what i thought it might be so i wont go into it

if you are applying a acpi complient bios upgrade for 2000/xp, remember XP wont see this change until you reinstall
pain in the @$$ but i had this problem with a slightly older motherboard.

As for PSU.. JJB6486 what the heck were you doing with such a small psu!!
man i thought my mate running a athlon at 230w was nuts but you topped that list :p

Yeah...mine will run fine as well...aside from the RAM issue. The only acpi error reports are when I reboot my computer. I have flashed to the latest BIOS by ABIT. Many point the finger to XP for this.

Deja Vu

Man this is almost Identical to my problems...(You might remember Forum experts!). The restarts happended on my computer. It seems that the general consensus is that it is an insufficient PSU causing your problems.....BUT as i said ive had the same problems and i have a AMD approved 300w PSU.

But fingers crossed i thnik i have sorted the problem by striping the PC down to the bare bones and reinstalled XP and then one by one installed all of my hardware.

DO you thnik it could of been a loose PCI card or DDR module???

I stripped mine down to bare bones and it still happend with one of my DDR sticks. I switched it out for the other stick and all was well. My PS is an Enermax 431. It has been running for about 4 months fine. PS is fine and my voltage still read fine. Mine was definately the RAM.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back