Convince me on buying Vista

jimi_81

OSNN Senior Addict
Political Access
Guys...

I need convincing. As a regular XP user, can someone perhaps lay out the sales pitch groundwork to convince me to buy Windows Vista.

Amazon.ca has all of the versions priced. I see Home Premium for 299.99. I suppose that is reasonable.

My system is a couple years old: 3.2 ghz P4, 1 gb ram, ati 1600Pro 512 mb AGP.

I havent loaded any betas.. perhaps I should start with the public issue. But in terms of shelling out the 3 and a half bills, where does Vista go where XP does not? Interface improvements I can already see, but functionality wise?

Also, what version is best for a more than average home user. I am guessing Premium.

Posted October 3rd.
talk about timing
thanks for the link!

If you can afford to upgrade and your hardware is capable, I see no reason to stay with XP. There's no reason to fall over yourself to upgrade, but sticking to XP is not recommended for the long term.

I'd say that waiting a few months while the early adopters work through all the driver and software issues, etc is a prudent plan for most people.

If you can afford to upgrade and your hardware is capable, I see no reason to stay with XP. There's no reason to fall over yourself to upgrade, but sticking to XP is not recommended for the long term.

I'd say that waiting a few months while the early adopters work through all the driver and software issues, etc is a prudent plan for most people.

If you dont already have a dual-core or quad-core processor, or you wont be using your OS to do VERY CPU intensive applications there is little to NO reason to upgrade right away...

Especially if you follow the Microsoft mantra that they will extend the support for XP much the same as they did for windows 3.1, 98, 98 SE, NT, 2000 and I fell like they will do so yet again for XP...

*twists jimi's arm behind his back*

Buy it! Because it is good for you, it is new, and you know you like new.

*twists arm harder*

Gimme me the money, I'll buy it for ya.

Need more convincing?

I have tried every version of Vista and am not that impressed with any of them so don't ask me to convince ya.

If you want to make a donation for yet more rubbish then give it to me.

I will trade you for your cash money windows 95.

silly anti-progress people :)

Do what you will, but I guess your next upgrades will be from pentium 4's and athlon 64's to pentium 75s and DOS 6.....

Otherwise the lot of you are hypocrits.

I was thinking of ugprading to a Commadore 64 next actually..... :eek:

Right now for me there aren't any absolute must have features in Vista. No need to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. I'm past that phase.

IE7 is going to be available for XP.

I don't use WMP.

I don't need the security blanket as I'm a "fairly advanced" user that can tell if opening a link is going to mess up my system, or if a file is going to be a virus.

Most "beginner" people will probably need Vista though, just for security reasons.

Right now for me there aren't any absolute must have features in Vista.

And there are not going to be.

Most "beginner" people will probably need Vista though, just for security reasons.

The UAC is NOT going to solve anything, it is SO annoying and pops up for everything, it will be either disabled or completely ignored.

The only true innovation will be if they can get IE to run in protected mode effectively. Time will tell, but concerning MSFT's history, I will venture to guess it wont really work correctly and/or will be compromised via virus/malware within days of Vistas release.

If you've actually used Vista, you'll see little to no reason to upgrade. A little bit shinier, but still the same system. Configuration is a pain in the ass, everything is moved, hell I can't even set a static IP in my LAN on Vista. UAC is about the worst thing in the world.

If you feel like paying $200-$400 for updated solitaire graphics, then Vista is worth the upgrade.

There is a complete rewrite of minesweeper, solitaire and freecell included. That should say something.

Jimi don't do it you fool, run run..... :)

but seriously as X says they have some new games, i think the one where you make cakes will be the iceing on the cake for most :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back