Converting Fat32 to NTFS problem

B

boyce1

Hi Forum,

I am having a problem converting from FAT32 to NTFS.

First some info on the "drive".

I have 2 SATA 160 gig drives in a RAID 0 array so it looks like I have 1 big 320 gig drive - which may be my problem...

When I enter the convert C: /fs:ntfs command everything goes as expected, I answer "YES" to the two questions and then reboot.

It goes through the file checking routine then says it will check to see if there is enough space to do the conversion.

It appears there is plenty of space yet it fails do to lack of space...

It says something to the effect of:
319 Gig total
220 Gigi available for conversion
50 Gig needed for conversion

So apparently there is plenty of space yet it fails.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help or suggestiions!

Welcome to the forums boyce1. :)

If you have a copy of 'partition magic' see if that will do it. Possibly one at a time.

Is it possible to disable the RAID so you can convert then RAID back again. Remember my I.T Pro Uncle had a similar problem and took weeks to come up with a solution. It's too bad he's not here in this forum.

Can't do them one at a time as I think with RAID 0 they are striped with part of a file written to one drive, part to the other.

Does anyone know if Partition Magic works on RAID drives, I couldn't find anything on the PowerQuest site?

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Welcome to the forums boyce1. :)

If you have a copy of 'partition magic' see if that will do it. Possibly one at a time.

Probably not unless I lose all data or back it up to another device, which I don't have at this point, although I may have to just install some extra drives, move the data and then convert but not really what I want to do.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Originally posted by coathanger007
Is it possible to disable the RAID so you can convert then RAID back again. Remember my I.T Pro Uncle had a similar problem and took weeks to come up with a solution. It's too bad he's not here in this forum.

Excellent point! I do believe it is FAT32, at least that is what drive properties shows. Also when I try to download video from my ReplayTV to the PC it stops when a particular file gets to 4 gig, just shy of what I need for longer movies recorded in high quality...

I forgot to mention in my initial post that I am using Maxblast software - drives are Maxtor - and this is probably an area to investigate.

Thanks for the idea!

Originally posted by JJB6486
I'm suprised you actually got a big 320GB drive to format to FAT32. You sure its not already NTFS?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314463

JJB

I didnt think FAT32 could use drives/raid in 0, that are bigger than 120 GB.

Originally posted by boyce1
Probably not unless I lose all data or back it up to another device, which I don't have at this point, although I may have to just install some extra drives, move the data and then convert but not really what I want to do.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Partion Magic does not work on RAID. Neither do any imaging software.The conversion to NTFS should really have been done as the first step before installation of anything. Sorry I can't be of more help.:(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back