Converted from Fat32 to NTFS now I have startup problems

0wen

I just converted my 120 Gig hard drive from Fat 32 to NTFS using Windows Xp Pro's built in conversion tool. Now whenever I start up Windows, I get a long pause after the Windows XP Pro loading screen with the little bar that moves back and forth. It will pause on a blank black screen after the loading screen for at least 30 seconds to a minute or more without showing the mouse pointer or anything. The Fat 32 setup would show my desktop a few seconds after the XP loading screen so I am at a lost as to what the issue could be other than something with the conversion. Any help would be appreciated.

Was this your C: drive that you converted? Did you defrag the drive after the conversion? Converting your drive usually leads to massive file/folder dissarray on your drive. After Defrag, find and use "bootvis" to speed up your startup. Hope this helps.

BTW, Welcome to NTFS.org, Owen.

Heeter

I would agree with Heeter here, NTFS works better if you defragment the hard drive and structure after you have converted it to NTFS.

Its even better to convert a drive to NTFS after a format or by using a partiton program like Partition Magic or Paragon's Hard Drive manager. If a drive is reformatted to NTFS then the directory structure will be optimised automatically. You may not want to do this if your window system is on the drive however :)

It was my C: drive (which has my Windows Directory on it) that I converted to NTFS. My drive was pretty full, about 100 gigs used of the 120 total. When I tried to use Norton Utilities Speed Disk I let it run for over 12 hours and it still was only at like 5% done. I was not sure if this was normal or if it was something do to the conversion.

100gb of 120gb, yep thats gunna be 1 hell of a defrag to sort that mess out.

WOW,

100gigs one single, non partitioned drive!! And you took a chance and reformatted that! The fact that you even managed to pull that off is a feat in itself. Defragging that should set you back for a couple of days!!

Like dreamliner said, you really should looking into partitioning that drive or hooking up multiple drives.

All I can say is WOW!!

Heeter

I think in this scenario either Raxco's PerfectDisk or Execsoft's Diskeeper 8.0 Pro would be a very wise investment... I've had better luck with Diskeeper than I ever did with Norton SpeedDisk. Generally speaking, both also work better than XP's built-in defragmenter and both offer scheduling capabilities so you won't have to remember to defrag regularly; it will just do it for you based on the schedule you specify.

You really need to split that up into partitions. Recommendation is have C: about 10 gig and just put your system and main programs on it.

After that break up the remainder into a Games partition and a Data (mp3, jpg, mpeg, backups) partition.

I also create a pagefile partion of about 10 gig where I put my fixed size pagefile and have plenty of room for CD/DVD images when burning.

Your just going to have to bite the bullet now and defrag that mess. It could take days. Norton speed disk can do a lot of manipulation with the file layout to improve performance. That will slow the defrag. It might be better to use the Windows defrag until you can re-partition the hard disk.

I assume during the 30 second delay your hard disk is accessing like crazy, right? That's a sign of fragmented program files and pagefile.

During that long delay, I do not see any real HD access. It just kind of hangs there. As for the defrag, since my last post I have let Norton Speed Disk run and it is now at 60% done but it has been stuck there for a few hours. My 60 gig D: drive is pretty full as well but I just recently got a DVD Burner so I should be able to start clearing out some of the stuff on my drives. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back