Convert C: to NTFS without reformatting?

it's automatically enabled in XP. it's part of that whole XP learns what you do thing just like how it changes your start menu now and then with the items you use most...what it basically does is look at the last used timestamps on files to lay them out so they will be read quicker it is turned on by default and as lonmon says optimizes about ever 3 days :)

Re: Diskeeper

Originally posted by Lonman
If you're running Diskeeper, set that baby to run every 8 hours .................................................... I'm really impressed with this 3-day optimization cycle programmed into XP.

I am trying out the evaluation versions of Diskeeper but I have run into a problem I hope someone can help me with. Installs fine but when the program is started it locks up on the "Wecome/Orientation" window. Both the server and workstation versions exhibit the same problem. Their tech support hasn't responded yet to my e-mail.

Fairly standard box; XP Pro, 1Ghz AMD, 512 meg RAM, 30gig Fat32, networked with LinkSys cards and router. Disabling ZA and NAV makes no difference. Any ideas?

What version of diskeeper, and what version of XP are you running?

Both are Diskeeper 7.0 eval/trial versions of 'Server' and 'Workstation'. Win XP Pro final rel 5.1.2600. "Diskeeper" sounds like a prog I would buy if I can get it to work.

Originally posted by Augie66
Both are Diskeeper 7.0 eval/trial versions of 'Server' and 'Workstation'. Win XP Pro final rel 5.1.2600. "Diskeeper" sounds like a prog I would buy if I can get it to work.
That's the first i've heard of anyone having a problem with Diskeeper... you have the right versions, so it should work. It must have something to do with the evaluation copy. XP's defrag is actually Diskeeper on a diet, but the full version is pretty nice. I guess you'll need to wait for the response back from their tech support.

Avoid other defrag programs though. I hear that Norton's Speed disk really messes with the 3-day cycle.

Thanks, Lonman
IF I get a response from their tech people I will post their reply.

Thanks

Ok thanks for the response as to the winxp getting smarter as you use it deal and as for diskeeper ........ mmm I like that program works great 30 days lol well not really email me and I will fix that in a jiffy lol if you catch my drift ..... mine seems to be full version ?? thanks guys zylo1@excite.com .. if ya need a little longer to evaluate let's say :p :p :p :p

Re: Diskeeper

Received this E-Mail from tech support, Diskeeper. It works!

When I launch Diskeeper I am not able to close the Diskeeper orientation window. What is wrong?

------------------------

We have found that some systems may have a restriction in the registry that does not allow administrator access to the Diskeeper registry keys. Please find the steps below to allow you to utilize Diskeeper. Here's how to allow administrator access to the Diskeeper registry keys.

Before you begin any editing of the registry, always update your emergency repair disk (ERD).

1) From the Desktop, click START, then RUN
2) Type REGEDT32 for the command and click OK
3) Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on local machine, double click SOFTWARE
4) Highlight EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE
5) With NT 4 or Windows 2000, In the Menu Bar, click SECURITY, then PERMISSIONS
6) With Windows XP, In the Menu Bar, click EDIT, then PERMISSIONS
7) Highlight ADMINISTRATOR
8) Set TYPE OF ACCESS to FULL CONTROL
9) Select the checkbox to cause the permissions to be propagated to sub keys
10) Select OK modify the permissions
11) Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on local machine, Double click SYSTEM
12) Double click CurrentControlSet
13) Double click Services
14) Highlight DISKEEPER
15) With NT 4 or Windows 2000, In the Menu Bar, click SECURITY, then PERMISSIONS
16) With Windows XP, In the Menu Bar, click EDIT, then PERMISSIONS
17) Highlight ADMINISTRATOR
18) Set TYPE OF ACCESS to FULL CONTROL
19) Select the checkbox to cause the permissions to be propagated to sub keys
20) Select OK modify the permissions
21) Close the registry

You should then be able to operate Diskeeper from an administrator account.

Best Regards,
Cherie Conner
ESI
800-829-6468 x 1506
www.execsoft.com

Thx for the post Audie. Very informative. Glad you got it working.

convert D: /fs:ntfs to conver to ntfs

and to convert back to FAT32 just use a program Called "partition magic"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back