Controller Drivers?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi guys,

I am doing a Performance tune-up wizard, and this came up as a warning. Should I be doing something about this? What steps should I take to fix/improve this? Thanks in advance......

Heeter

The IDE controller on your motherboard supports a maximum of UltraATA/66 for transfer rates of up to 66MB/sec

Your hard drives (since they are newer than your motherboard) most likely support UltraATA/100 or maybe even UltraATA/133, which have theoretical transfer rates of 100MB/s or 133MB/s.

Since your motherboard does not support these higher transfer rates, it's moving the hard drives down to UATA/66.
If you want to move up to UATA/100 or 133 (depending on what your HDD allows), your only option is to get a PCI IDE controller card. You would then hook up the IDE cables to the card instead of the onboard IDE controller.

Hope that helped :)

Thanks, NetRyder (again!!)

Since you answered my last post about installing a third HDD, would it be safe to presume that I can safely install all my HDD's on this card? I will be buying the necessary hardware this weekend, including a third HDD. Do I need to set them up as Raid or can each HDD be seen by my disk manager?

Heeter

You should be able to hook up all your hard drives to the controller card. You don't need to set up hardware RAID unless you really need it. All drives will be recognized normally just like they are now.

BTW, I've heard good reviews about the Promise IDE controller card, so you might want to look out for that one.

Good luck with the set up! :)

I've got a AproTech PCI U/133 IDE Controller. Works great. It has Raid Support (supports Raid 0,1, 0+1), but I don't use that feature. Picked it up at a local shop for $29.
I use it for imaging HDs for friends and as a connection for my Zip Drive. Best use of $29 I've come up with in a while. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back