Control Panel Icons

E

Eve

Does anyone know if it's possible to change icons in the control panel? I've managed to change Network Connections and Printers & Faxes using the registry, but I can't find any of the other icons there. I've searched on the net and here to find out how, but I can't find anything. I'm sure there is a way, if not why would there be icons for them everytime I download a new icon set? :confused: Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

TIA

Eve:D

Download ResHack
Open ResHack
Open C:\WINDOWS\System32\
Open the .CPL file you want to change the icon for
Look for Icon Group
Open group 100
Right click
Replace Resource
Find the new icon
Replace
Save

Done.

I learned from one of the best *points at o___*

Can't get it to work. It changed add new hardware, but it appears twice now, the others I tried didn't change at all. I've changed back and given up. Will any other programs do it, or is there a way in the registry?

Well, you may need to do this:

Open ResHack
Open File
Make changes
Save file as filename_new.cpl
Reboot to safemode with command
Rename the current cpl to filename_old.cpl
Rename the new one to filename.cpl (make sure it is in \system32\)
Reboot.

I also recommend..
Run
cmd
sfc /purgecache

Try that.

ok, the first part sounds convoluted, but I think I can manage it, the Run, cmd, sfc /purgecache part is where I get a bit confused. What does it do, and why am I doing it? :confused:

Purges your system cache, backups, etc. Most DLL files and such are cached.
Works just like your Internet cache.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back