Constant Corrupt "User"

I

Icetruck007

This problem has plagued me for the longest time and I am finally seeking outside help, something i should have done a while ago.

It has gotten to the point where I don't like rebooting my computer, because when it gets to the Blue XP splash screen a little grey box appears and says the user file is now corrupt. It does not happen EVERY time, but often enough to piss me off. Sometimes I can just reboot and it will be fine, other times.... I need to redo all my Desktop settings.

After starting over fresh and so clean with a desktop with no icons, no bookmarks, no hotkeys, all of my icons just sitting in the folder documents and settings/my name and a new user created right before my eyes with nothing. I would sometimes create shortcuts on my new desktop from the old one to try and recreate it, but everything from my Halflife to ICQ settings were all a bit screwed up. Halflife wanted me to re-enter the CD key I stole from Wal-Mart :(

This would be happening and I would be remaking my icons a few times a week, it was all random. Eventually is would boot up to a blue screen that said something like your system32/windows/config file is either missing or corrupt and I would be unable to get past that part. This typically meant a reformat :(

FINALLY I bought a new hard drive, an 80 GB WD 8mb buffer drive for under 100 bux.. Guess what.. same problem as my 20 GB drive I took out of my case.

I have no idea why this is happening, but I love XP and I don't want to have to go back to 98, anyone have any suggestions? The dude down the hall figured it might be a bios problem and to take out my system clock and boot and put it back in and see if that reset my bios so i did that and it didnt help :p I dont have my motherboard manual and I dont know what exactly my MB is except that it's an Asus supporting my P3 733 w/ a chip of 256 sdram. I pieced this computer together myself and have been upgrading it 3 years now. I almost hit the purchase button on a new Dell today but I figured I'd ask ya'll. So help if you can :p

Matt

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back