Constant 1606 errors

So you have an upgrade CD then? You can do a clean installation of XP without having to install 98 first. Are you interested in that?

Yeh, I have an upgrade CD. I saw the option of doing a fresh install when doing the upgrade and thought about it, but wanted to keep the backup OS incase I wanted to revert back. I take it that if I do the fresh install of XP, it will clear out 98se?

Yeah, my suggestion is to format the drive and start over. I would say the 'backup' os feature you wanted isn't really working out. If you want to dual-boot, that's a whole other thing... and it's easy too.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks for the help man.

I wish this could have been solved, but I think it's something mucked up in your old 98 settings that the XP installation didn't clean up.

If you decide to go the dual-boot route, make a small primary partition (C:\) and install 98 on it first. Then you can install XP on your other partition (D:\) no problem. The real key to multi-boot configurations is to install the oldest OS first.

Without third party boot-loaders, Win95 or 98 need to be on the primary partition. If you want 98 to 'see' the XP drive, then format that partition in Fat32. Win95 and 98 can't see NTFS.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and happy computing.

Well, after about a week of tearing my hair out over this *&%$# error, I finally found a solution. Basically came down to changing a registry value. Here's the solution:

Solution for the error 1606 Could not access Network Location. <Common Administrative Tools> .All Users\.

1. Startup > Execute... > regedit ---> Accept

2. In the Registry go to:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

3. Common Administrative Tools must have the value: C:\WINDOWS\All Users

4. In the Registry go to:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

5. Common Administrative Tools must have the value: %SYSTEMROOT%\All Users

Thanks to Westy1 and Lonman for their help and research on this error. Much appreciated!

did you try to dusable your startup programs under msconfig?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back