Consistent Issues Connecting to Remote Server

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
One of the servers I take care of remotely has been a real pain in the rear over the last 2-3 months, in regards to my ability to access it through Terminal Services. Frequently, I simply can't connect, which is a real issue for when I need to perform maintenance or make changes.

In most cases, eventually it works, but I haven't been able to connect for about 3 days straight. The IP changes somewhat frequently, and I am using a Dynamic DNS update client which works well, and is in use on 4 other servers that don't have an issue.

This server is on a DSL connection, and the connection is always UP internally, allowing all network devices to access the network and internet without issue or interruption.

I did a tracert this morning from where I am now, and another server back in MA. The tracert I did from where I am now, which is only about 10 miles from the server, failed after two hops. The one back in MA, obviously had more success, then failed around the same area in regards to IP/Server destinations.

Since this is something that eventually works, is there anything I can do to troubleshoot or fix it? I'm thinking the DNS changes just need time to take effect when the IP changes, but when I ping by DNS right now from either location, it resolves the proper IP.

Kinda frustrated about this, any feedback?

-edit-

In the past, this was caused by someone resetting the Linksys device which whipes the port forwarding I have configured. I'm going there tomorrow, and it's going to be a pain if that is what happened again...

Last edited:
kc i assume this is a satalite office, first question why do you even have a business using dynamic ip, why not get a static ip address, this will almost certainly fix the issue.

You are correct, I couldn't agree more, and I apologize for not addressing that.

I have suggested it to the client before, but they are a small business and that is why they are on DSL instead of Cable. Although I never got involved, they don't want to take on the cost associated with a static IP.

As I said, it works most of the time, but it's problematic. There have been a few issues I haven't been able to resolve quickly enough because I can't connect, I may have to re-visit pushing hard on the static IP issue...

kc i assume this is a satalite office, first question why do you even have a business using dynamic ip, why not get a static ip address, this will almost certainly fix the issue.

doesnt your main router in the facility have the ability to assign a static KC?

You can have static ip with dsl, and its like $100 a month, hardly a large expense.

not from the ip.

Internally the machines are static, but that isn't the problem. I can't get to the router itself, which technically has the IP assigned by the ISP.

You can have static ip with dsl, and its like $100 a month, hardly a large expense.

Maybe not to you, but if a business is paying 1/2 or 2/3 of that currently, the extra cost isn't always beneficial.

As I said before, it has been working for the better part of a year or so until they moved about 1.5 miles down the street because their old office building got knocked down. Ever since, and it's the same ISP, their IP changes 3-4 x's a week at least.

And, fwiw, I use it within a few other DSL/Cable environments that don't have static IPs, they just don't change as much.

perhaps your first step is to talk to the isp and see if they can have the renew cycles a lot less frequent?

because is does sound like it is a dns updating issue, and possibly your trying to log into the remote server, could be forcing the dns to propogate quicker. Not really an expert. But a possibility.

Are you using wins?

I wonder if this would help.

http://keep-my-ip.whiz-kid-technomagic.qarchive.org/

Or you could set up a batch program to ping say microsoft every 5 minutes to keep your connection active and your ip address the
same for as long as possible.

Maybe not to you, but if a business is paying 1/2 or 2/3 of that currently, the extra cost isn't always beneficial.
If any business finds an extra $60-$70 a month too much they need to look at their finances :)

Last edited:
Well with DSL you keep your IP until you loose your connection (at least I have that with my ISP).

I would take a look at the router if the IP changes frequently. I had that issue, with my smoothwall I keep my connection alot longer. With smoothwall it's free, all you need is a piece of crap computer with 2 nic's, I would try this to see if that's the issue.

I had an internal problem with MSN disconnecting, it was my Linksys router.

The KeepIP utility looks interesting, I'll have to give that a try.

I'll post results after I visit the site tomorrow and inspect what may be going on.

That is a valid point, however I'm not sure how it's really necessary.

The only reasons this would not work, in theory, is if someone reset the router, or if the connection hasn't processed DNS updates as of yet.

In both cases, the router itself would still be unreachable.

remote admin for the router is just a function to actually access the functions of the router, to be able to use the router remotely, it has nothing to do with remote admin of xp.

well if the router lost the settings then the DSL settings would be lost too. So I'm guessing it may be more then that, altho I could be wrong. At least with remote admin you could see if you can establish a connection and verify the port forwarding is setup.

and Lancer, I know what remote admin on the router does. My explaination to why to enable it is above. Remote desktop requires port 3389 to be forwarded. I change the port for security reasons, but I have the router do this (source port: xxxx; dest port: 3389)

sorry if i upset you, didn't mean to.

Both of you made reasonable suggestions regarding the Remote Admin, I just don't see how it applies.

In scenario 1, where the pesky users reset the routers, Remote Admin would also go back to default which I believe is disabled. Killing two birds with one stone, both this and the RDC would not be accessible.

Lancer: I'm not upset, I'm just very direct. Sorry.

KC: Well like I stated wouldn't the PPPoE settings be lost if the router got reset, as well as the port forwarding and remote admin?

KC: Well like I stated wouldn't the PPPoE settings be lost if the router got reset, as well as the port forwarding and remote admin?

that is true actually, but i guess you'll know tomorrow.

Got there and yet another IP change within the last 24 ours :dead:

Router was configured properly, even access within the network is up and running.

Seems to be working now and IP is stable, I have sent in a proposal for a few changes to the connection configuration, let's see what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back