Conneting two Computers

B

Bon Scott

Hi Guys

I want to connect my pc ( running XP Pro ) and a laptop ( running ME ) through Internet Card with cat 5 cable, with full shearing....
How to do it ???
I don't know a shit about networking ( a few things ),
Can somebody please give me a kind of using guide, step by step....
Any help will be appriciated...

Regards

If your connecting directly from NIC to NIC (Network Interface Card) in each computer, you'll need a crossover cable. If this isn't how you plan to make the connection then give some more details of how you plan to set-up your network. After that it's easy peasy, just need more details.

yea wat lonman said
for the xp box, if its on high speed net cable/dsl
then you have a network card in it, u will another in that same one, and one in the ME comp (so 2 in the xp box, and 1 in the ME box)
then just get a cross-over cable and plug em in
install the cards

well since you dont know nething about networking, use the built in Network Wizard in xp, and i think it makes a disk for you
pretty str8 foreward, read and select appropiate box, then hit next, and repeat :)

What is the next step ?

Thanx for reply

My PC is connected on Cable Internet with " Intel 21041 Based PCI Ethernet Adapter".
My PC is connected with Laptop on " OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controler ".
Both Computers can use Internet connection ( no problem ).
But I stil can not access the laptop and laptop can not access my PC....
In " My Network Places " I can see the laptop by when I try to access, got the message :
Server is not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

What is the next step ?

Regards

Go to Start> Settings> Control Panel> Network Connections> Right Click On "Local Area Connnections" and select "Properties." Under the "Advanced" tab, untick the "Internect Connection Firewall." Close everything.

Next, Go into Windows Explorer, right click on any drive or folder and select "Sharing and Security." Either share this on the nework selection, or select the Network connection wizard option. You'll need to do this on both computers, both steps.

@ Lonman

@ Lonman

Done as told....
But still no access.

Regards

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controler

IEEE 1394 is FireWire, not ethernet. Is this connected through one of those Firewire cable link things? Or is it a FireWire Ethernet Adapter?

JJB6486

@ JJB6486

YES

Both Servers are connected with firewire link.
And both can use ethernet,
But can not access each - other

Regards

set up accounts on both computers - same name, same password. I'm taking for granted that because you can see each other, that both computers are part of the same workgroup.

@ Lonman

Thanx Lonman,

It works....
You are a great help !!!

Regards

Thanks Longman

:p Had same problem linking my 2 PCs with firewire. Was tearing my hair out. Thanks big time :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back