Connectix VirtualPC

I use VMware. Same purpose ... each has its advantages, but I prefer VMware.

Cheers!
NetRyder :cool:

The thing is I'm thinking of installing it, and I'm just wondering how much recourses it will take to run just one more OS.

It creates one file on your hard disk that will be a virtual partition. It uses the amount of space you define to be the size of the partition. So if you create a 2GB virtual drive, a 2GB file will be created on your hard disk. (This may be split into smaller files that add up to 2 GB)

The amount of RAM that the guest OS will use depends on how much you configure it to use. I have a total of 448 MB of RAM, and I give Slackware 192 megs. It works fine. Note that Windows uses memory at the same time as your guest OS.

Lemme know if u have any other questions.

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies NetRyder.
one more question, the reason i noticed this software is because i saw you can "redefine the hardware" for the OS.
I have a USB modem that Linux cant use, can i trick it to use it thru this software?

Hmmm ... not sure what they mean by "redefining hardware" :confused:

I haven't found a way to emulate any hardware in VMware.

Cheers!

What i'm talking about is in the demo it says "VirtualPC emulates all hardware including HD's and COM ports" . any truth in it?

That's partly true ... instead of your LAN card showing up as whatever it really is, it will be called "VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter" or your graphics card will be "VMware Virtual Graphics Adapter" etc.

It can't actually emulate hardware that your computer doesn't have though (that would be neat ;))

Cheers!

heh, that will be amuzing, and unrealistic...
I wonder if i can get it make Linux see the Modem...
never know unless i try...
is the installation the same as a normal Linux instal?

Check the online documentation ... the actual installation is pretty much the same, but there's a little bit of stuff u need to do before and after the installation (assuming VPC is similar to VMware)

Cheers!

Originally posted by Benny
Cheers!

I got a new keyboard with some extra shortcut buttons that I don't use for anything. So I decided to use it for this ;)

Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back