connection speed?

legba

OSNN One Post Wonder
Hello guys. My connection speed is too slow, what can it be? I am on DSL.

what are you using to connect to the internet? router or standalone modem?
what's the bandwidth allocated to your connection and at what rate are you currently experiencing?

Are you sure it's your connection and not your system? Have you tried something like dslreports to test your speeds? Also check your isp page for some kind of network status page and make sure they aren't working on it. ;)

dsl doesnt always mean ull get fast speed, here in saudi the dsl speeds are measured in kilo bits not bytes, there are 8 kilo bits in a byte, so having a 64kb connection actually limits you to 8 kilo bytes down stream yeah thats how bad it can get here, my dad has 256 in his office = 64kb and he used to pay 2500 dollars a year, i think now its cheaper

themafia_69 said:
dsl doesnt always mean ull get fast speed, here insaudi the dsl speeds are measured in kilo bits not bytes, there are 8kilo bits in a byte, so having a 64kb connection actually limits you to8 kilo bytes down stream yeah thats how bad it can get here, my dad has256 in his office = 64kb and he used to pay 2500 dollars a year, ithink now its cheaper
Don't they count that way everywhere? I know my 10Mbps is definately megabit. ;)

yeppers... network connections are calculated in bits... not bobs.. i mean bytes.
only storage is calculated in bytes.

themafia_69 said:
there are 8 kilo bits in a byte,
Sorry to correct you, but there are 8 bits in a byte. Therefore 8 KiloBits (8192 bits) works out at 1 KiloByte (1024 bytes). However, if you have an 8 KiloBit connection, this does not translate to an actual 8 KiloBit download as part of the connection is used for packet information and other data used to ensure what you receive is what was sent.

If you're only getting 8 KiloBit download via dsl, then that is horrendous. :suprised: My old analog modem used to connect at 42-46 KiloBit. My DSL is now connecting at 2 MegaBit, giving me an approximate download speed of 256 KiloBytes per second.

i meant kilo byte man, i know my stuff, i just didnt put kilo infront of bytes, i didnt think it would be interperted that way, 8 kilo bits in a kilo byte

8 kilobytes download on dsl, at my friends house, read clearly about that part, and thats cuz thats the slowest option availible here and the fastest is 256kilo bits which gets u a 64 kilo bytes download speed

Hmm, I'm paranoid I guess but... I found it odd that a '1 post wonder' posted a question and then a '1 post wonder' replied with a link. Spammers have a new technique? :)

Kr0m said:
Hmm, I'm paranoid I guess but... I found it odd that a '1post wonder' posted a question and then a '1 post wonder' replied witha link. Spammers have a new technique? :)
Hmm, I'm paranoid I guess but... isn't Elite Member for people with 1000+ posts? :p

Attachments

• kr0m.jpg
    kr0m.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 85

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back