Connection Sharing Question

acetken

"Anything for $50!"
Okay, so we have 2 computers here at my friend's place. We have a net connection on one of them through a central hub. I was wondering how I can share it with XP. Not the normal "Go check the little Share Connection box" thing. It says there's only one connection. A LAN one to the hub which it accesess the 'net through. How can I get the other computer to use the 'net from the hub.

Computer 1 (With net)----Hub-----Computer 2 (No net :( )

Cable modem is connected to the hub. (I tried a diagram, but it wouldn't work right... you get the idea)

I don't know who your cable provider is or how they handle cable access in canda, but here in the US 99% of the cable providers only allow one IP per an account unless you pay extra for another IP

The only real hardware way around this is that you need to use a router and not a hub. A router will show up as one device on the network and then dole out it's own ip addresses to each computer...i'm pretty sure this is your problem since you are using a hub and one computer works whereas the other doesn't

You could also use ICS for sharing the internet connection by adding a second NIC to the primary computer and connecting the secondary computer to this NIC rather than the hub.

If that can help you...

Here is my configuration :

My PC has 2 network cards :
1. Lan card with IP 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0
2. Cable card with IP DHCP who is connected to the cable modem

I share the Cable card and XP will automaticly configure the IP adress of the LAN card with my previous config

Then on the other computer, you have to put an IP in the same range by ex : 192.168.0.10 and subnet 255.255.255.0
The gateway must be the IP of the computer that share the connection.
The DNS must be filled in in the TCP properties...DNS of your internet provider of course

That's it, it's easy...well if my config can help you.

Yep

Mkart power

Originally posted by jw50
You could also use ICS for sharing the internet connection by adding a second NIC to the primary computer and connecting the secondary computer to this NIC rather than the hub.

Crap. Now I gotta dig up another damn card... Aw well. Thanks a lot guys!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back