Connection Problem

S

Sinister_X

Hello all, I have learned alot from this site but I still have one problem with my system. Everytime I reboot my network is inoperative. I have to go into my device manager and disable the network card and then enable the card and my connection works great. I am running XP pro, with a realtek FA311 network card. I connect through a linksys router (BEFSR41) to my cable modem. I tryed reseting the network properties, turning off the firewall, and assigning an IP all to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing, during boot the system hangs after going to the desktop. I think it is looking for an IP but just can't find it. I tri-boot this system between linux, winME, and XP, the other two systems have no comflicts and work great.

Thank you for any help or ideas.

Welcome to the forums Sinister_X. :)

For the system hang at bootup try these>

Correcting System Hang at Startup

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but
it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

1. Click on Start/Run, type 'msconfig', then click 'OK'.
2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Also if not on a network disable 'workstation' at the same place as above.

have you tried uninstalling the network card drivers from the control panel and then removing it from the device manager then rebooting??

Results from above sugestions

I disabled the B.I.T. Services, and rebooted the system, the concern was still present, I uninstalled the network card (one more time) and rebooted, at this time the connection worked but when I rebooted again it's back to the same deal. I need to explain the hang time on this a little better - The system boots fast, desktop is there and you can run programs as soon as the desktop comes up but if you going into the device manager it hangs for 20-50 seconds. Then everything is fast again.

Basically it's like the system forgets the IP and SubNet during reboot and tries to use a bad one.

Thanks for the help.

if the system 'forgets' the ip check your network settings. specificly those that deal with DHCP. all you should have checked in there is 'obtain ip automaticaly'.

Set your IP for the NIC to a static IP. This way it is the same all the time and it will not have to wait for the router DHCP to assign an IP. Works great for me.........

:happy:

Re: Results from above sugestions

Originally posted by Sinister_X
I disabled the B.I.T. Services, and rebooted the system, the concern was still present, I uninstalled the network card (one more time) and rebooted, at this time the connection worked but when I rebooted again it's back to the same deal. I need to explain the hang time on this a little better - The system boots fast, desktop is there and you can run programs as soon as the desktop comes up but if you going into the device manager it hangs for 20-50 seconds. Then everything is fast again.

Basically it's like the system forgets the IP and SubNet during reboot and tries to use a bad one.

Thanks for the help.
I have the same issue. After booting if I try & open windows explorer I have to wait for it. The problem my end I have traced to a program called Logon UI which I have set to change screens randomly at bootup. When it was set to one screen it wasn't a problem but I don't mind the wait. Maybe your system is doing something similar, ie still setting itself up.

I had a simular prob but mine was because I had a new nic card installed and did'nt disable the old one in bios ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back