Connection box lag

A

angel5

Hi everyone

I am quite new to computers and could do with some help.

Whenever I turn on my machine and try to connect to the internet the connection box takes forever to appear. I have nothing in msconfig except Norton and start up is pretty quick.

This does happen with Outlook Express also but I think the problem is with the internet because I downloaded some windows updates and the connection box came up in a flash on Outlook E until the next time I tried to go on the internet first and it reverted to it,s usual very slow self.

I have tried re-installing Internet explorer 6, but no difference.

When clicking on either after start up the curser is showing as busy and if I try to connect through the start up panel this freezes. but I can go onto other things such as word.

I have a Packard Bell Ixtreme 9607
Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHZ
40 Gb hard drive with 29GB free space
Connected to Freeserve

Have tried PC World Internet help line and was told nothing can be done.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Bearing in mind i'm not to clever with computers but do like to try.

:eek:

Welcome to XP-erience.org angel5

Not sure what Norton you are referring to - is it System Works, Nav 2002, - what software?

The reason I ask is that it might be something running when you first boot up that has the cpu busy and it just takes some time until that finishes and everything proceeds as it should!

Hopefully some of the smarter folks on this forum will be able to help you out and ask the right questions.

If nothing else they should welcome you!:D :D

RE: lag

By chance angel. did you do the tweak to get rid of msn messenger? I know i did and after Outlook took sooooooo long to connect.

re:lag

Thanks for the welcome damnyank.

Norton I have running is Norton Antivirus 2002.

In reply to johncki, I did not do the tweak to get rid of messenger, but I have it set so it does not start when Outlook Express does. I have also tried not letting it run in the background but to no affect.

A friend has the same computer but her's is 1.8ghz and she uses messenger but her connection box comes right up.

The other thing I tried was to re-install Freeserve using smart restore but no luck again.

Thanks again for your welcome and replys;)
;)

That very well could be why it slows down. try to go back on a system restore entry. before u changed it. I cant remember for the life of me where it is here in the forum. but there is a tweak that fixes the pause on that. sorry couldn't be much help.

Sorry you have lost me a bit. After using Smart Restore for Freeserve to no affect I restored my computer to an earlier time using System Restore.

Thanks anyway

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back