Connecting "Wireless" Router to SMC "Wired" Router

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political Access
O.K. This is my situation. I have SBC (now AT&T) DSL with a Westell WireSpeed Modem connected to an SMC Barricade Router. My Computer (Windows XP Pro) and 2 other Computers (Also XP Pro) are connected to the Router.

Now what I wish to do is connect a Wireless Router that was given to me to the SMC Barricade so I can connect my Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop wirelessly to my existing connection. No, I don't want to go full wireless, so don't suggest it. :D The wireless Router is an 802.11b or g D-Link or Netgear, I don't remember which one it is and I am at work so I can't look at the box. I will post the correct info when I get home.

Anyway I would like if someone could/would give me a step by step on how to set this up. Also I will need to put the address (MAC address I think is what I mean) of the Wireless Router into the SMC cause I have it set to only connect the addresses I have listed. If that makes sense. Again I will double check all this when I get home later this evening.

Thanks. :)

I don't think you have to do MAC spoofing anymore, I'd try without doing that first. With regards to your wireless router, all you should need to do is connect one of the LAN ports into an available LAN port on your Westell and voila! Of course, there may be more to it, but it should/could be as simple as that as well. Just make sure the two devices have different IPs or you won't be able to access web consoles. Probably also a good idea to turn off the LAN DHCP server on your wifi router.

The Westell is the modem. Only one RJ connection on back. I think you meant the SMC Router, yes/no?

The SMC has 4 ports and I am only using 3 so yes I have one extra. I thought that's all it was but I thought you would have to go into a DOS prompt and find the address for the Wireless or go to the browser site and go into it's properties menu and get it there or something. BTW I prefer to have the addresses listed on the Barricade.

Yes, I meant the SMC, silly me.

If you want to keep the addresses listed on the Barricade you need only to disable DHCP from your wireless router on the LAN side. You will have a different IP range for wifi since the SMC doesn't have that capability. So, you could have something like 192.168.1.x on the SMC and something like 192.168.2.x on the wifi.

Since you probably know what the IP information is for the SMC, I would jack into the wifi router directly to change it's settings first, and then connect everything as needed (into your free port on the SMC).

Follow up on situation. I pulled the wireless router out of the box and it turned out to be a wired/wireless D-Link DI-514 router. So I pulled the SMC and installed the D-Link. Now all 3 of my hard wired computers and my wireless laptop are connected. Now I can sit in the living room with my lappy watch TV surf the net or just bum around in here and piss off my Daughters. Yeah! :D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back