Connecting two routers

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
Ok , this is my "easy option" out. I have two wireless routers NETGEAR DG834PN which is setup to my main PC for a network and internet access. The kids want to used there PS2 online. So instead of running and cable a mile around the house, could i connect the linksys router to the PS2 using cable and get it to connect to the NETGEAR router to access the internet. If so how easy would it be. I have also got a USB wireless dongle thing as well but believe the PS2 usbs don't work for that.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
The standard wifi router generally can't do this by default. If its the correct model (can't think of it atm) you can try a third party firmware.

But as it stands, no it isn't possible. To accomplish this you will need what's called a wireless bridge.

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Like Admiral said, it depends on the Linksys model.

http://www.tongfamily.com/networking/linksys/linksys_diagnostics_and_firmware_hacks.php

If it's an old, spare router give a hack a shot. That link above is just one of many. Hacking routers for improved range, features, bridges is a major hobbyist market.

Google "hacking linksys bridge"

Forget USB dongles/etehrnet converters/etc they are very limited in capability. I've played with a few for fun.

emeritus

Beware the Monkeys!!!
The second router would have to be turned into anb access point. You would have to hook up the router to your pc, then access the setup options, usually an address similar to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, and switch it from a gateway to an access point.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samhicks