Connecting to my FTP problem.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

A problem has arisen with connecting to my personal FTP server. I use BulletProof. In the last three days or so, no one has been able to login to my Server. I am able to get in within my home into that tower, but no one from outside. WinXPPro SP2 firewall has always been turned off. I tried disabling my third party firewall, to no avail. I have reset, rebooted and re-forwarded the ports on the router, nothing still. I have uninstalled, and reinstalled my DNS Resolver (I use No-IP), nothing still. The person trying to get in has a Winsock error come up on their login screen. On my end, I only see them disconnecting on my Bulletproof log screen.

Like I said, It just stopped working three days ago. It was working fine before that. Nothing was installed. Tower is a dedicated FTP Server.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Perhaps your ISP is not liking you running an FTP server? (just a long shot) Also what kind of winsock error? What are they using as an FTP client? Have they changed clients? Is it just one person or is it everyone?

(Not Related)
@Xie - what's the name of that crazy scientist dude from ATHF?

I dont know about the Dr., I know the one from sealab is Dr. Quin(however its spelled)

Try using FileZilla, I use it and its fast and easy

Xie said:
Perhaps your ISP is not liking you running an FTP server?
I agree...you could try changing the default port in Bulletproof to rule out the isp blocking ftp.

Thanks for the input,

I will test the default port change.

Heeter

Hi Guys,

I changed my default port# from 21 to 25, for testing purposes. Forwarded the port on the router, still same problem. When Someone tries to connect, the actually connection hangs, until the person disconnects. The disconnect command does show up on my Bulletproof log. No Winsock errors came up on my friend's FTP client during test this time.

Any other Ideas? Thanks for all the help so far.

Heeter

I would try a port besides 25 as that email default I believe and your ISP might block that as well, keeping you from running your own email server as some people have them compromised and then all spammy hell breaks loose. ;)

Yeah, 25 was sort of a bad choice. ;) Try something above 1024, like 2100 or whatever.

everyone who tries to connect to your ftp cannot get in or is it one person??

PM me your IP and let me see if I can get in.

Also what client does your friend use? Maybe something misconfigured on there end?

Depending on what router you are using, Unless you have dmz enabled for your dedicated server, you will only be able to use port 21. Check no ip and see if it updated your ip. If it hasn't update it .. That is normal cause ..

and also when you forward the ports in your router you have to open 20 and 21 .. Another thing to is to check to see if your passive port range is opened up.

Hi Guys,

It was actually my ISP. I changed to Port 2121, and lo and behold, we have a logon.
I also did phone my ISP concerned about them locking up that port 21. They told me that 21 has always been locked and they trying to figure out how I was able to use it. I think that maybe mistakingly a business account was setup. Who knows. They also told me that they just do not up and lock a port on someone, without first warning the person.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

Heeter

Glad you got it straightened out! ISP's are kinda fishy sometimes. A local one here started blocking TFTP on us without warning. They lost 6 business accounts because it is a mission critical service that we cant do without, at least for the near future.

Johnny said:
Depending on what router you are using, Unless you have dmz enabled for your dedicated server, you will only be able to use port 21.

and also when you forward the ports in your router you have to open 20 and 21 ..
Well that's not true at all. You can use any port you want as long as you also specify a passive range to use. As long as the router can forward ports, it will work. Port 20 isn't used nowadays.

Zedric said:
Well that's not true at all. You can use any port you want as long as you also specify a passive range to use. As long as the router can forward ports, it will work. Port 20 isn't used nowadays.
Everyone I have set up has been like that.. Trying to use other ports besides 21 didn't work, this is even with passive ranges set up. You have to use 20 for the data transfer and 21 for control .. I also had to foward the passive port range. Enabling dmz made it possible to use any port.

I used G6 Ftp Server, Serv-U Ftp Server, Bulletproof Ftp Server, Ect. It did the same thing with each one. This is with a Netgear and Linksys router mind you.

If you are able to do it then congratulations I am proud of you .. What router and server are you using by the way ???

Johnny said:
Everyone I have set up has been like that.. Trying to use other ports besides 21 didn't work, this is even with passive ranges set up. You have to use 20 for the data transfer and 21 for control .. I also had to foward the passive port range. Enabling dmz made it possible to use any port.

I used G6 Ftp Server, Serv-U Ftp Server, Bulletproof Ftp Server, Ect. It did the same thing with each one. This is with a Netgear and Linksys router mind you.

If you are able to do it then congratulations I am proud of you .. What router and server are you using by the way ???
Those precise servers plus RaidenFTPd or Filezilla server using a D-Link router, Netgear router or a Linux firewall. I've never used a Linksys router though, but FTP shouldn't be any different from any other server software. Forward the ports it uses and it will work. The passive range is instead of port 20. You must also specify the passive range in the server. Unless you have some other firewall in the way somewhere it will work if set up correctly.

Zedric said:

Actually, port 20 is still the default port according to the RFC (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html). Unless the end user sets up his client to specifically use the PASV mode command, port 20 is still required.

FTP is bane protocol of all firewalls.

--fitz

fitz said:
Actually, port 20 is still the default port according to the RFC (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html). Unless the end user sets up his client to specifically use the PASV mode command, port 20 is still required.

FTP is bane protocol of all firewalls.

--fitz
Yes, port 20 is in the rfc, but I've never seen a modern client acctually use it. Maybe I've just missed it, but by default most clients are set to use PASV mode, so if you set the server up to use PASV, it works in most cases without any fuss on the client's side.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back